Robert "Bobby" Tufts is pro chocolate ice cream. He is also pro vanilla, strawberry, and "cotton candy kind," as well as rainbow sherbet. Last year in the town of Dorset, Minn., that was reason enough to vote him mayor — despite the fact that he is only 4 years old.
Now Tufts is running for re-election. Dorset, which calls itself the "Restaurant Capital of the World," votes on its mayor at the Taste of Dorset Festival, where its 30 residents pay $1 to enter a name into the race and pull the winner's name out of a bucket.
Dorset doesn't actually have a formal city government, meaning Tufts' duties will be mostly be fishing, greeting visitors, and preparing for kindergarten. Tufts will find out if he stays on as Dorset's official mayor of record on August 5.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- In defense of family dinner
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
Subscribe to the Week