Robert "Bobby" Tufts is pro chocolate ice cream. He is also pro vanilla, strawberry, and "cotton candy kind," as well as rainbow sherbet. Last year in the town of Dorset, Minn., that was reason enough to vote him mayor — despite the fact that he is only 4 years old.
Now Tufts is running for re-election. Dorset, which calls itself the "Restaurant Capital of the World," votes on its mayor at the Taste of Dorset Festival, where its 30 residents pay $1 to enter a name into the race and pull the winner's name out of a bucket.
Dorset doesn't actually have a formal city government, meaning Tufts' duties will be mostly be fishing, greeting visitors, and preparing for kindergarten. Tufts will find out if he stays on as Dorset's official mayor of record on August 5.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- 10 things you need to know today: March 12, 2014
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- How rain helped the Mongols conquer Asia
- Obama's new rule would make it harder for employers to deny you overtime
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week