Selena Gomez's upcoming album Stars Dance, which is slated for release later this month, marks her official debut as a solo artist — but it's a brief audio cameo by a male voice purported to be Justin Bieber that has fans talking. "Hey babe, it's me," says the voice on "Love Will Remember," an as-yet unreleased track from the album that leaked yesterday. "I just want to call and tell you that I love you so, so, so, so much. I just wanted to let you know that you are my princess. You are worthy of all the love in the world. You are the love of my life."
So is the recording really Bieber, or is it just a soundalike? A rep for the Biebs refused to confirm either way, but a source at E! Online claims that Gomez contacted Bieber all the way back in February to tell him that the audio sample — which was reportedly culled from a voicemail he left while they were dating — would be featured in a track on her new album. "It was after they broke up and she told him she wanted him to remember the better times," says the source. "Justin was blown away by it."
And as for the actual song? It sounds like a healthy kiss-off anthem, complete with a heavy dose of autotune. We'll see if fans can look past the drama to hear the music when Stars Dance is released on July 23.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- How I became a borderline hoarder
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
Subscribe to the Week