Selena Gomez's upcoming album Stars Dance, which is slated for release later this month, marks her official debut as a solo artist — but it's a brief audio cameo by a male voice purported to be Justin Bieber that has fans talking. "Hey babe, it's me," says the voice on "Love Will Remember," an as-yet unreleased track from the album that leaked yesterday. "I just want to call and tell you that I love you so, so, so, so much. I just wanted to let you know that you are my princess. You are worthy of all the love in the world. You are the love of my life."
So is the recording really Bieber, or is it just a soundalike? A rep for the Biebs refused to confirm either way, but a source at E! Online claims that Gomez contacted Bieber all the way back in February to tell him that the audio sample — which was reportedly culled from a voicemail he left while they were dating — would be featured in a track on her new album. "It was after they broke up and she told him she wanted him to remember the better times," says the source. "Justin was blown away by it."
And as for the actual song? It sounds like a healthy kiss-off anthem, complete with a heavy dose of autotune. We'll see if fans can look past the drama to hear the music when Stars Dance is released on July 23.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- How to save money: 12 great personal finance tips
- How I lost all my money
- The best books we read in 2014
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week