News Headline: "Microsoft helped NSA, FBI access user information"
Critics can be glad it was Microsoft.
The access will soon freeze or shut down for no apparent reason.
News Headline: "Minnesota town has 4-year-old boy as mayor"
And he calls names and throws tantrums and holds his breath if he doesn't get his way.
That's the House Tea Party Caucus.
News Headline: "Madonna to be discussed at Polish exorcists meeting"
Finally, a reasonable explanation.
+ Dave Carr, an Owen Sound, Ontario, reader, regarding President Obama's announcement that his favorite food is broccoli, writes:
"Is the broccoli lobby paying part of his celery?"
+ T.R., a Chicago reader, writes:
"We should expect our president to view all vegetables impartially, without fear or fava."
Stop it now.
News Headline: "Can Rick Perry win in 2016?"
News Headline: "Are antibiotics on the farm a risky business?"
News Headline: "Judge in Zimmerman case pressured by Obama administration?"
News Headline: "Do we still need help from Congress on jobs?"
No, yes, no, yes.
Just saving a little space.
News Item:"...the new outlets of communication have made some of us think we are the next Shakespeare when it comes to texting..."
Lord w@ fools deez mortals B.
News Headline: "Sarah Palin: Yes, I'm mulling a Senate run"
News Headline: "Alaska senator: I don't even know if Palin is a resident"
Before this goes any further, we may want to review all her documents.
She has lived "close" to Russia, after all.
QT Grammar R Us Seminar on the English Language:
Noel B. Perlman, a Chicago reader, regarding another reader's mention that "comptroller" should be pronounced the same as "controller," writes.
"I watched an interview with Eliot Spitzer, the New York comptroller candidate, and the interviewer repeatedly mispronounced the word. I didn't take note of the way Eliot himself pronounced it, if he did."
QT has done some research.
The candidate, in this regard, did not err.
Which should rhyme with "fur."
As long as we are at it.
Write to QT at email@example.com
QT appears Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- Face it, ladies: We can't all be beautiful
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
Subscribe to the Week