News Headline: "Microsoft helped NSA, FBI access user information"
Critics can be glad it was Microsoft.
The access will soon freeze or shut down for no apparent reason.
News Headline: "Minnesota town has 4-year-old boy as mayor"
And he calls names and throws tantrums and holds his breath if he doesn't get his way.
That's the House Tea Party Caucus.
News Headline: "Madonna to be discussed at Polish exorcists meeting"
Finally, a reasonable explanation.
+ Dave Carr, an Owen Sound, Ontario, reader, regarding President Obama's announcement that his favorite food is broccoli, writes:
"Is the broccoli lobby paying part of his celery?"
+ T.R., a Chicago reader, writes:
"We should expect our president to view all vegetables impartially, without fear or fava."
Stop it now.
News Headline: "Can Rick Perry win in 2016?"
News Headline: "Are antibiotics on the farm a risky business?"
News Headline: "Judge in Zimmerman case pressured by Obama administration?"
News Headline: "Do we still need help from Congress on jobs?"
No, yes, no, yes.
Just saving a little space.
News Item:"...the new outlets of communication have made some of us think we are the next Shakespeare when it comes to texting..."
Lord w@ fools deez mortals B.
News Headline: "Sarah Palin: Yes, I'm mulling a Senate run"
News Headline: "Alaska senator: I don't even know if Palin is a resident"
Before this goes any further, we may want to review all her documents.
She has lived "close" to Russia, after all.
QT Grammar R Us Seminar on the English Language:
Noel B. Perlman, a Chicago reader, regarding another reader's mention that "comptroller" should be pronounced the same as "controller," writes.
"I watched an interview with Eliot Spitzer, the New York comptroller candidate, and the interviewer repeatedly mispronounced the word. I didn't take note of the way Eliot himself pronounced it, if he did."
QT has done some research.
The candidate, in this regard, did not err.
Which should rhyme with "fur."
As long as we are at it.
Write to QT at email@example.com
QT appears Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- America is doomed! (And other thoughts on our gloomy historical moment.)
Subscribe to the Week