News Headline: "House GOP gets its way on farm bill; food aid jeopardized"
News Headline: "Food stamps: Military families redeem $100 million a year"
Should we ask the House GOP why it hates our troops?
News Headline: "Russia says it will arrest openly gay tourists"
News Headline: "Penalties await gay couples trying to marry in Indiana"
But please understand this:
Indiana is not like Russia.
+ Cindy Rochel, a Tinley Park, Ill., reader, regarding QT's asking its readers to stop playing games with President Obama's announcement that his favorite food is broccoli, writes:
"Why should we carrot all what the president prefers?"
+ T.R., a Denver reader, writes:
"You're going to beet this like a dead horse, aren't you."
No. This will stop.
And now we know why Obama is trying to stop government leeks.
News Item: "...yelled at the best man and then punched him... then punched the bride's sister, mother and father, the groom said..."
It's the little things that go wrong at weddings that can provide our most treasured memories.
News Headline: "New Zealand breaks world record for most people covered with paint"
And it is a good thing the 4,171 people covered with four tons of paint achieved the record, or they might have looked silly.
QT Grammar R Us Seminar on the English Language:
T.B., a Chicago reader, writes:
"I received an email today arguing that the construction 'one of those' requires a plural verb. For example, one of those people who are always correcting grammar. Is this the case?"
The plural is generally favored, with the verb referring, in this instance, to "people," not "one," as the subject.
But QT will argue that there are exceptions.
Or put it this way:
It was just one of those things
Just one of those crazy flings
One of those bells that now and then rings...
Cole Porter is QT's favorite grammarian.
Write to QT at firstname.lastname@example.org
QT appears Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to survive a spaceship disaster
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
Subscribe to the Week