Many surnames are derived from words for occupations. A Baker is a baker, and a Miller is a miller. But the origins of these names are usually a bit more obscure, especially when the occupation of the person is terrible match for the name. Here are what 11 celebrities would be if their jobs matched their names.
1. KIM KARDASHIAN
A stone carver. Or the son of a stone carver in any case. From the Armenian kardash (stone cutter) –ian (son of).
2. KRIS JENNER
An engineer. From Middle English ginnur or genour.
3. TERESA GIUDICE
A judge. From the Italian.
4. ASHTON KUTCHER
A coachman. From the Yiddish or German Kutscher.
5. LEIGHTON MEESTER
A teacher, or maestro. From the Dutch.
6. DIANE KRUGER
An inn-keeper or a potter. From German.
7. NATALIE PORTMAN
A gate keeper.
8. BRADLEY COOPER
A barrel maker.
9. KALEY CUOCO
A cook. From Italian.
10. LIEV SCHREIBER
A clerk or writer. From German
11. JASON BATEMAN
A boatman. From Middle English bate for boat.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- The danger of the Democrats' lack of desperation
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Deficit scolds are the most crazed ideologues in America
Subscribe to the Week