Many surnames are derived from words for occupations. A Baker is a baker, and a Miller is a miller. But the origins of these names are usually a bit more obscure, especially when the occupation of the person is terrible match for the name. Here are what 11 celebrities would be if their jobs matched their names.
1. KIM KARDASHIAN
A stone carver. Or the son of a stone carver in any case. From the Armenian kardash (stone cutter) –ian (son of).
2. KRIS JENNER
An engineer. From Middle English ginnur or genour.
3. TERESA GIUDICE
A judge. From the Italian.
4. ASHTON KUTCHER
A coachman. From the Yiddish or German Kutscher.
5. LEIGHTON MEESTER
A teacher, or maestro. From the Dutch.
6. DIANE KRUGER
An inn-keeper or a potter. From German.
7. NATALIE PORTMAN
A gate keeper.
8. BRADLEY COOPER
A barrel maker.
9. KALEY CUOCO
A cook. From Italian.
10. LIEV SCHREIBER
A clerk or writer. From German
11. JASON BATEMAN
A boatman. From Middle English bate for boat.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- This is how the U.S. thinks China could invade Taiwan
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- Surviving a plane crash
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Confessions of a hotel insider
Subscribe to the Week