any surnames are derived from words for occupations. A Baker is a baker, and a Miller is a miller. But the origins of these names are usually a bit more obscure, especially when the occupation of the person is terrible match for the name. Here are what 11 celebrities would be if their jobs matched their names.
1. KIM KARDASHIAN
A stone carver. Or the son of a stone carver in any case. From the Armenian kardash (stone cutter) –ian (son of).
2. KRIS JENNER
An engineer. From Middle English ginnur or genour.
3. TERESA GIUDICE
A judge. From the Italian.
4. ASHTON KUTCHER
A coachman. From the Yiddish or German Kutscher.
5. LEIGHTON MEESTER
A teacher, or maestro. From the Dutch.
6. DIANE KRUGER
An inn-keeper or a potter. From German.
7. NATALIE PORTMAN
A gate keeper.
8. BRADLEY COOPER
A barrel maker.
9. KALEY CUOCO
A cook. From Italian.
10. LIEV SCHREIBER
A clerk or writer. From German
11. JASON BATEMAN
A boatman. From Middle English bate for boat.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- When will the Big One strike California?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Entrepreneurs: A dying breed?
- Why would a young person today be religious?
Subscribe to the Week