any surnames are derived from words for occupations. A Baker is a baker, and a Miller is a miller. But the origins of these names are usually a bit more obscure, especially when the occupation of the person is terrible match for the name. Here are what 11 celebrities would be if their jobs matched their names.
1. KIM KARDASHIAN
A stone carver. Or the son of a stone carver in any case. From the Armenian kardash (stone cutter) –ian (son of).
2. KRIS JENNER
An engineer. From Middle English ginnur or genour.
3. TERESA GIUDICE
A judge. From the Italian.
4. ASHTON KUTCHER
A coachman. From the Yiddish or German Kutscher.
5. LEIGHTON MEESTER
A teacher, or maestro. From the Dutch.
6. DIANE KRUGER
An inn-keeper or a potter. From German.
7. NATALIE PORTMAN
A gate keeper.
8. BRADLEY COOPER
A barrel maker.
9. KALEY CUOCO
A cook. From Italian.
10. LIEV SCHREIBER
A clerk or writer. From German
11. JASON BATEMAN
A boatman. From Middle English bate for boat.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The end of academic freedom?
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
- Jimmy Fallon switches mouths with Tina Fey on The Tonight Show, and it's terrifying
Subscribe to the Week