Many surnames are derived from words for occupations. A Baker is a baker, and a Miller is a miller. But the origins of these names are usually a bit more obscure, especially when the occupation of the person is terrible match for the name. Here are what 11 celebrities would be if their jobs matched their names.
1. KIM KARDASHIAN
A stone carver. Or the son of a stone carver in any case. From the Armenian kardash (stone cutter) –ian (son of).
2. KRIS JENNER
An engineer. From Middle English ginnur or genour.
3. TERESA GIUDICE
A judge. From the Italian.
4. ASHTON KUTCHER
A coachman. From the Yiddish or German Kutscher.
5. LEIGHTON MEESTER
A teacher, or maestro. From the Dutch.
6. DIANE KRUGER
An inn-keeper or a potter. From German.
7. NATALIE PORTMAN
A gate keeper.
8. BRADLEY COOPER
A barrel maker.
9. KALEY CUOCO
A cook. From Italian.
10. LIEV SCHREIBER
A clerk or writer. From German
11. JASON BATEMAN
A boatman. From Middle English bate for boat.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- 3 ridiculous myths about how technology is destroying your mind
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
Subscribe to the Week