News Headline: "U.S. junk food subsidies since 1995 equal to cost of nearly 52 billion Twinkies: Study"
News Headline: "Mississippi among the nation's best at beer drinking"
News Headline: "Utah lawmaker calls for end of compulsory education"
Consider this an intervention.
Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, nation.
News Headline: "New theory says the universe isn't expanding — it's just getting fat"
That goes for you, too, universe.
News Headline: "Ted Cruz is a legitimate 2016 threat"
QT has done some research.
No large asteroids are expected to come close to Earth in 2016.
So Cruz will have to do.
+ Doug Dahlgren, a Chicago reader, regarding QT's wondering if it could ever get readers to stop playing games with President Obama's announcement that his favorite food is broccoli, writes:
+ Tara Gallagher, a Seattle reader, writes:
"You may be sailing uncharded waters."
Your cress is as good as QT's.
News Headline: "SyFy announces Twitter contest to name Sharknado sequel"
M.T., a Chicago reader, writes:
"Add a new species, and it could be Snakes on the Rain."
Sorry. No more games.
QT will put the brakes on a refrain.
News Headline: "Chess game escalates into armed standoff"
News Headline:"George Zimmerman eyes law school"
Fair warning to avert ours.
News Headline: "Fracking and energy exploration connected to earthquakes, say studies"
Move along, nothing to see here...
QT Grammar R Us Seminar on the English Language:
Karl Weiszhaar, a Denver reader, writes:
"I know that 'defenestration' is the act of tossing someone or something out a window. Is there a word tossing someone or something off a balcony?"
Using the same method of drawing from a Latin root, QT comes up with "demaenianumification."
Except there is not a single Google hit for "demaenianumification."
There is now.
Write to QT at email@example.com
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why we need a maximum wage
Subscribe to the Week