News Headline: "U.S. junk food subsidies since 1995 equal to cost of nearly 52 billion Twinkies: Study"
News Headline: "Mississippi among the nation's best at beer drinking"
News Headline: "Utah lawmaker calls for end of compulsory education"
Consider this an intervention.
Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, nation.
News Headline: "New theory says the universe isn't expanding — it's just getting fat"
That goes for you, too, universe.
News Headline: "Ted Cruz is a legitimate 2016 threat"
QT has done some research.
No large asteroids are expected to come close to Earth in 2016.
So Cruz will have to do.
+ Doug Dahlgren, a Chicago reader, regarding QT's wondering if it could ever get readers to stop playing games with President Obama's announcement that his favorite food is broccoli, writes:
+ Tara Gallagher, a Seattle reader, writes:
"You may be sailing uncharded waters."
Your cress is as good as QT's.
News Headline: "SyFy announces Twitter contest to name Sharknado sequel"
M.T., a Chicago reader, writes:
"Add a new species, and it could be Snakes on the Rain."
Sorry. No more games.
QT will put the brakes on a refrain.
News Headline: "Chess game escalates into armed standoff"
News Headline:"George Zimmerman eyes law school"
Fair warning to avert ours.
News Headline: "Fracking and energy exploration connected to earthquakes, say studies"
Move along, nothing to see here...
QT Grammar R Us Seminar on the English Language:
Karl Weiszhaar, a Denver reader, writes:
"I know that 'defenestration' is the act of tossing someone or something out a window. Is there a word tossing someone or something off a balcony?"
Using the same method of drawing from a Latin root, QT comes up with "demaenianumification."
Except there is not a single Google hit for "demaenianumification."
There is now.
Write to QT at firstname.lastname@example.org
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
Subscribe to the Week