A new trailer for Alofonso Cuaron's Gravity, which follows a rookie astronaut (Sandra Bullock) who becomes stranded in space, has finally arrived — and it's easily the most terrifying glimpse of the sci-fi thriller we've seen yet.
Unlike most trailers, this extended look at Gravity doesn't offer a summarized version of the film's entire arc. Instead, it offers a two-minute glimpse of a single scene, as Bullock's Dr. Ryan Stone becomes stranded in space after fleeing a shuttle that's being battered by debris. "Houston, I've lost visual of Dr. Stone," exclaims George Clooney's Matt Kowalskiy as his fellow astronaut is propelled off into the endless blackness of space.
Gravity is writer/director Alfonso Cuaron's highly-anticipated follow-up to Children of Men, and this distinctive trailer is evidence that he's aiming for a new and heart-stoppingly visceral kind of sci-fi terror. During preproduction, Gravity drew headlines for attracting the attention of some of Hollywood's most famous leading ladies — including Angelina Jolie, Marion Cotillard, Scarlett Johansson, and Natalie Portman — before Sandra Bullock was eventually cast in the role. Will Gravity live up to the hype? Thriller fans can start October with a different kind of horror when Gravity hits theaters on October 4.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- Why cutting the government doesn't make it more efficient
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
Subscribe to the Week