A new trailer for Alofonso Cuaron's Gravity, which follows a rookie astronaut (Sandra Bullock) who becomes stranded in space, has finally arrived — and it's easily the most terrifying glimpse of the sci-fi thriller we've seen yet.
Unlike most trailers, this extended look at Gravity doesn't offer a summarized version of the film's entire arc. Instead, it offers a two-minute glimpse of a single scene, as Bullock's Dr. Ryan Stone becomes stranded in space after fleeing a shuttle that's being battered by debris. "Houston, I've lost visual of Dr. Stone," exclaims George Clooney's Matt Kowalskiy as his fellow astronaut is propelled off into the endless blackness of space.
Gravity is writer/director Alfonso Cuaron's highly-anticipated follow-up to Children of Men, and this distinctive trailer is evidence that he's aiming for a new and heart-stoppingly visceral kind of sci-fi terror. During preproduction, Gravity drew headlines for attracting the attention of some of Hollywood's most famous leading ladies — including Angelina Jolie, Marion Cotillard, Scarlett Johansson, and Natalie Portman — before Sandra Bullock was eventually cast in the role. Will Gravity live up to the hype? Thriller fans can start October with a different kind of horror when Gravity hits theaters on October 4.
- The indignity of canine bath time
- Is it possible to live forever?
- Remembering Nelson Mandela: A tribute in photos and prose
- No, Obama doesn't have to fire everybody in the White House
- Watch The Daily Show definitively prove that corporations are not people
- Why income inequality has become the Democratic Party's top issue
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- How to make the perfect hot chocolate
- 11 languages spoken by 11 people or fewer
- How America's unions can reinvent themselves in the new economy
Subscribe to the Week