A new trailer for Alofonso Cuaron's Gravity, which follows a rookie astronaut (Sandra Bullock) who becomes stranded in space, has finally arrived — and it's easily the most terrifying glimpse of the sci-fi thriller we've seen yet.
Unlike most trailers, this extended look at Gravity doesn't offer a summarized version of the film's entire arc. Instead, it offers a two-minute glimpse of a single scene, as Bullock's Dr. Ryan Stone becomes stranded in space after fleeing a shuttle that's being battered by debris. "Houston, I've lost visual of Dr. Stone," exclaims George Clooney's Matt Kowalskiy as his fellow astronaut is propelled off into the endless blackness of space.
Gravity is writer/director Alfonso Cuaron's highly-anticipated follow-up to Children of Men, and this distinctive trailer is evidence that he's aiming for a new and heart-stoppingly visceral kind of sci-fi terror. During preproduction, Gravity drew headlines for attracting the attention of some of Hollywood's most famous leading ladies — including Angelina Jolie, Marion Cotillard, Scarlett Johansson, and Natalie Portman — before Sandra Bullock was eventually cast in the role. Will Gravity live up to the hype? Thriller fans can start October with a different kind of horror when Gravity hits theaters on October 4.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
Subscribe to the Week