A new trailer for Alofonso Cuaron's Gravity, which follows a rookie astronaut (Sandra Bullock) who becomes stranded in space, has finally arrived — and it's easily the most terrifying glimpse of the sci-fi thriller we've seen yet.
Unlike most trailers, this extended look at Gravity doesn't offer a summarized version of the film's entire arc. Instead, it offers a two-minute glimpse of a single scene, as Bullock's Dr. Ryan Stone becomes stranded in space after fleeing a shuttle that's being battered by debris. "Houston, I've lost visual of Dr. Stone," exclaims George Clooney's Matt Kowalskiy as his fellow astronaut is propelled off into the endless blackness of space.
Gravity is writer/director Alfonso Cuaron's highly-anticipated follow-up to Children of Men, and this distinctive trailer is evidence that he's aiming for a new and heart-stoppingly visceral kind of sci-fi terror. During preproduction, Gravity drew headlines for attracting the attention of some of Hollywood's most famous leading ladies — including Angelina Jolie, Marion Cotillard, Scarlett Johansson, and Natalie Portman — before Sandra Bullock was eventually cast in the role. Will Gravity live up to the hype? Thriller fans can start October with a different kind of horror when Gravity hits theaters on October 4.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- How to make classic pulled pork
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- 10 things you need to know today: August 1, 2014
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week