A new trailer for Alofonso Cuaron's Gravity, which follows a rookie astronaut (Sandra Bullock) who becomes stranded in space, has finally arrived — and it's easily the most terrifying glimpse of the sci-fi thriller we've seen yet.
Unlike most trailers, this extended look at Gravity doesn't offer a summarized version of the film's entire arc. Instead, it offers a two-minute glimpse of a single scene, as Bullock's Dr. Ryan Stone becomes stranded in space after fleeing a shuttle that's being battered by debris. "Houston, I've lost visual of Dr. Stone," exclaims George Clooney's Matt Kowalskiy as his fellow astronaut is propelled off into the endless blackness of space.
Gravity is writer/director Alfonso Cuaron's highly-anticipated follow-up to Children of Men, and this distinctive trailer is evidence that he's aiming for a new and heart-stoppingly visceral kind of sci-fi terror. During preproduction, Gravity drew headlines for attracting the attention of some of Hollywood's most famous leading ladies — including Angelina Jolie, Marion Cotillard, Scarlett Johansson, and Natalie Portman — before Sandra Bullock was eventually cast in the role. Will Gravity live up to the hype? Thriller fans can start October with a different kind of horror when Gravity hits theaters on October 4.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The keys to succeeding with a job recruiter
Subscribe to the Week