It may take you a moment to recognize Bradley Cooper and Christian Bale in the first trailer for American Hustle, director David O. Russell's upcoming, vibrant-looking period crime drama. But when you do recognize them, it becomes immediately clear that both actors are turning in potentially career-changing performances.
"People come from all over the world to see this. It's a fake," says Bale's slippery grifter as he shows Cooper a painting in a museum. "People believe what they want to believe because it's so good that it's real to everybody. Then who's the master: The painter, or the forger?"
American Hustle offers a fictionalized version of the FBI's ABSCAM sting operation that began in the 1970s and eventually led to the convictions of a wide range of politicians, including one U.S. senator. The trailer makes it clear that Russell is gleefully playing up the trappings of the 1970s: Big hair, bad mustaches, leisure suits, and Led Zeppelin abound as the film's cast indulges in the decadence of the era.
And speaking of that cast: American Hustle's stellar lineup includes a series of actors who have worked with Russell in highly acclaimed films before, including Amy Adams and Christian Bale (who starred in 2010's The Fighter) and Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, and Robert De Niro (who starred in last year's Silver Linings Playbook). It's an undeniably impressive group of actors, and David O. Russell has been on a roll lately. But we won't know for sure if American Hustle continues his winning streak until it hits theaters in December.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- How to make corn dogs
Subscribe to the Week