It's been just over a year since Thor graced movie screens as a supporting player in The Avengers, and now, the release of the superhero's second solo outing, Thor: The Dark World, draws closer and closer. This just-released extended trailer (watch above) gives us our best glimpse of the film yet.
Though the first Thor movie depicted the superhero as a fish out of water on Earth, Thor: The Dark World takes the opposite approach as Thor returns to his home world of Asgard to combat a new threat alongside his fantastical brothers and sisters. If you're getting a Game of Thrones vibe from this trailer, it's for good reason — the Thor sequel was helmed by Alan Taylor, who has directed a half-dozen episodes of the HBO fantasy series.
But the new Thor: The Dark World trailer also takes great pains to link this potentially outre superhero outing to The Avengers. Tom Hiddleston's fan-favorite villain Loki, who served as The Avengers' primary villain, features more prominently in this trailer than Thor himself, and Natalie Portman's Jane Foster even punches him "for New York," a reference to the climax of The Avengers. It's a savvy attempt to draw in viewers who might otherwise be turned off by the film's fantasy-heavy aesthetic — but will it work? We'll find out when Thor: The Dark World hits theaters in November.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week