A crazy person Wisconsin man turned himself into an aerial Houdini on Tuesday, freeing himself from chains and a locked coffin — all while plummeting to Earth from an airplane.
The daredevil, Anthony Martin, was handcuffed and then chained to the inside of a locked wooden casket. The box was affixed with a small drag chute to keep it from spinning wildly out of control on the descent, and then nudged from the plane at a height of 14,000 feet.
Incredibly, Martin — who said he has been picking locks since he was 6 — cracked all the locks and manacles in time, then burst from the box and deployed his own parachute to safely coast back to the ground.
Now if only someone would up the ante and combine that jump with Felix Baumgartner's record-setting leap from 120,000 feet...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- Boyhood's refreshingly unsentimental take on motherhood
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- How a drafting error could doom Obama's carbon regulations
Subscribe to the Week