A crazy person Wisconsin man turned himself into an aerial Houdini on Tuesday, freeing himself from chains and a locked coffin — all while plummeting to Earth from an airplane.
The daredevil, Anthony Martin, was handcuffed and then chained to the inside of a locked wooden casket. The box was affixed with a small drag chute to keep it from spinning wildly out of control on the descent, and then nudged from the plane at a height of 14,000 feet.
Incredibly, Martin — who said he has been picking locks since he was 6 — cracked all the locks and manacles in time, then burst from the box and deployed his own parachute to safely coast back to the ground.
Now if only someone would up the ante and combine that jump with Felix Baumgartner's record-setting leap from 120,000 feet...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
Subscribe to the Week