Florida man confessed to killing his wife on Facebook on Thursday, and posted a photo of what he claimed was his dead wife.
Derek Medina, 31, wrote on his Facebook wall:
That was followed by a picture of a lifeless woman on her back with blood on her left arm and cheek titled "RIP Jennifer Alfonso," according to the Associated Press.
Underneath, Facebook friends left aghast comments. "That is my friend there," one wrote. Another wondered, "What happened?"
Officers came to Medina's South Miami home to find the dead body of his wife Jennifer, 26, as well as the couple's 10-year-old daughter, who was unharmed.
Medina told police that he and his wife got in a heated argument when she began to punch him. He claimed he went upstairs to get a gun and when he came back she was holding a knife. Then, he said, he disarmed her, put the knife away, and shot her.
Medina is being charged with first-degree murder.
The gruesome photo was up on his Facebook page for more than five hours before the company took his page down. A Facebook spokesperson issued the following statement to the AP:
The content was reported to us. We took action on the profile — removing the content and disabling the profile, and we reached out to law enforcement. We take action on all content that violates our terms, which are clearly laid out on our site. [AP]
The couple originally married in January 2010, got divorced two years later, then remarried three months after that.
Medina, oddly enough, was prolific writer of self-help e-books. His latest was titled, How I Saved Someone's Life and Marriage and Family Problems Thru Communication.
(Facebook screen grab courtesy of AP.)
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- 10 things you need to know today: December 8, 2013
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- 6 grammar points to watch out for in Christmas songs
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- This is how much extra it costs to eat healthy every day
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- Science: Cuddling is key to a committed and loving relationship
Subscribe to the Week