In her first public appearance since the death of boyfriend and Glee costar Cory Monteith, Lea Michele took the stage at the Teen Choice Awards on Sunday to accept the trophy for best actress in a comedy — and tearfully thanked her fans for their support as she dedicated the award to Monteith.
"I just wanted to be here today to thank all of you and tell everyone out there how much all of your love and support has meant to me after these very past difficult few weeks," said Michele. "Not that I had any doubt before, but you guys are most certainly the greatest fans in the world."
"I wanted to dedicate this award to Cory," she continued. "For all of you out there who loved and admired Cory as much as I did, I promise, with your love, that we're going to get through this together. He was very special to me, and also to the world, and we were very lucky to witness his incredible talent, his handsome smile, and his beautiful, beautiful heart. So whether you knew him personally or just as Finn Hudson, Cory reached out, and he became a part of all of our hearts, and that's where he'll stay forever."
Monteith died in Vancouver on July 13 after taking a toxic combination of heroin and alcohol. Glee's producers have announced that the show's upcoming fifth season will offer a tribute to Monteith, followed by an extended hiatus while the writers rework the story for the fifth season.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Rise of the machines
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- It's time to kill school picture day
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 5 words that are spelled weirdly because someone got the etymology wrong
Subscribe to the Week