1. Kanye West and Kim Kardashian allegedly want to debut their baby on the cover of Vogue
Since the birth of Kanye West and Kim Kardashian's daughter North West in June, the biggest story has been how the publicity-obsessed couple hasn't plastered pictures of their daughter on every magazine cover in America. But according to Radar Online, Kanye has been courting Vogue for a cover story all along — he's just been unsuccessful so far. West "knows what he wants — a professional photographer and the cover of Vogue — nothing else," said a source. Though we assume his "damn croissants" are also in the proposal somewhere. [Radar Online]
2. Katy Perry and John Mayer sing a love ballad together
Katy Perry and John Mayer have had a tumultuous romance, but now that they're an official (and seemingly stable) couple, they've found the perfect way to commemorate their love: A cloying, obnoxiously sweet duet called "Who You Love." The song, which will appear on Mayer's upcoming album, ends with what Perry calls "a love giggle" — and what the rest of us call "a reason to vomit." [MTV News]
3. Bruce Willis is bored of starring in action movies
If the never-ending stream of lame sequels like A Good Day to Die Hard, G.I. Joe: Retaliation, and Red 2 didn't already tip you off, Bruce Willis is in a bit of a professional rut lately. "Explosions are one of the most boring parts of my job," said Willis in an interview with XLS. "When you have seen a few fireballs, it's not exciting anymore. I know part of my audience enjoys the explosions, but to be honest, I’m a bit bored of it now." Don't worry, Bruce: No matter how tired you are of starring in lame action movies, we're even more tired of seeing you in them. [The Mirror]
4. Trekkies vote Star Trek Into Darkness the worst Star Trek movie ever
Earlier this summer, Star Trek Into Darkness boldly went where dozens of other blockbusters have gone before, with a noisy, explosion-laden, and generally incoherent ending. And Trekkies are none too pleased. At a recent convention, Star Trek fans voted Into Darkness the worst movie in the franchise's history (and yes, that includes the one with the whales). Forget Khan, Paramount — next time, you should beware the wrath of fans. [The Hollywood Reporter]
5. Orlando Bloom might be the next Batman, says unnamed source
Will Lord of the Rings star Orlando Bloom play Batman in the upcoming Man of Steel sequel? Probably not — but hey, a U.K. tabloid says it might be happening, so here we are. The Daily Express reports that a "senior source" at Warner Bros called Bloom the "odds-on" favorite for the role before a casting call. That puts him ahead of last week's alleged odds-on favorite, Josh Brolin, so stay tuned to find out which name somebody pulls out of a hat next week. [The Huffington Post]
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How Captain America won over China
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
Subscribe to the Week