Twitter hashtag games are not funny 99 percent of the time.
That's not an indictment of hashtags or Twitter; it's mostly because coming up with jokes is hard. But this hashtag, #SadGoogleSearches, which has been floating around since Wednesday night, is providing us with the rarest of unicorns: A deep well of actually funny material that we can all relate to, probably because we all search for embarrassing stuff. (Hey, NSA!) Here are a few of our favorites:
'Dude Where's My Car' plot summary #sadgooglesearches— John Podhoretz (@jpodhoretz) August 15, 2013
Amy Winehouse tickets #sadgooglesearches— rob delaney (@robdelaney) August 14, 2013
#sadgooglesearches What's the name of the guy who ran against Obama in 2012?— Top Conservative Cat (@TeaPartyCat) August 15, 2013
Rizzoli and Isles fan fiction #sadgooglesearches— John Podhoretz (@jpodhoretz) August 15, 2013
GREG ODEN TOP NBA PLAYS #sadgooglesearches— The Kid Mero (@THEKIDMERO) August 14, 2013
#SadGoogleSearches Can I hug the girls who clap for my birthday at Fridays and how long is too long?— Jeb Lund (@Mobute) August 14, 2013
#SadGoogleSearches Impress son with haircut— GOP Front-Runner (@doctorveritas) August 14, 2013
#sadgooglesearches cronuts in your local area— darth wackadoodle™ (@darth) August 14, 2013
#sadgooglesearches hope jobs cash bumper sticker— 000___000 (@000___000) August 14, 2013
Rahm Emanuel shirtless pics #sadgooglesearches— Elizabeth Lopatto (@mslopatto) August 14, 2013
#SadGoogleSearches Dog Heaven real?— Daniel Kibblesmith (@kibblesmith) August 14, 2013
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week