Typically, the best TMZ can hope for when its cameras catch a celebrity at an airport is either a classic Kanye tantrum or, maybe, just maybe, a friendly wave. Wednesday at LAX, however, WWE star Darren Young gave TMZ something much, much better: He came out as gay.
When asked by the photographer about whether he thinks a gay wrestler could be successful in the WWE, Young — whose real name is Fred Rosser — laughed a bit before casually responding, "Absolutely. Look at me. I'm a WWE superstar and to be honest with you... I'm gay, and I'm happy."
Young isn't technically America's first openly gay professional wrestler. In 2006, former WWE wrestler Chris Kanyon said his homosexuality prompted the WWE to release him from his contract, then later claimed his statement was just a publicity stunt, and then finally changed his story again, saying he was indeed gay. In 2010, wrestler Orlando Jordan debuted a bisexual persona on Total Nonstop Action Wrestling's show Impact!, and has since publicly identified as bisexual.
For his part, Young told the cameraman he hopes his casual coming out can make a difference. "It's very important to me that people understand that someone's sexual preference shouldn't really matter," he said. "It should be about the person."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- Why Halbig and the conservative war on ObamaCare will fail
Subscribe to the Week