Typically, the best TMZ can hope for when its cameras catch a celebrity at an airport is either a classic Kanye tantrum or, maybe, just maybe, a friendly wave. Wednesday at LAX, however, WWE star Darren Young gave TMZ something much, much better: He came out as gay.
When asked by the photographer about whether he thinks a gay wrestler could be successful in the WWE, Young — whose real name is Fred Rosser — laughed a bit before casually responding, "Absolutely. Look at me. I'm a WWE superstar and to be honest with you... I'm gay, and I'm happy."
Young isn't technically America's first openly gay professional wrestler. In 2006, former WWE wrestler Chris Kanyon said his homosexuality prompted the WWE to release him from his contract, then later claimed his statement was just a publicity stunt, and then finally changed his story again, saying he was indeed gay. In 2010, wrestler Orlando Jordan debuted a bisexual persona on Total Nonstop Action Wrestling's show Impact!, and has since publicly identified as bisexual.
For his part, Young told the cameraman he hopes his casual coming out can make a difference. "It's very important to me that people understand that someone's sexual preference shouldn't really matter," he said. "It should be about the person."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Game of Thrones is making a huge mistake by cutting Lady Stoneheart
- How to make classic pulled pork
- What if The Purge was real?
Subscribe to the Week