1. A near-perfect tweet
Unlike Dad, Bo Obama's approval ratings are at an all-time high according to informal polls (me).
Bo, stop trying to make fetch happen. pic.twitter.com/Ez6hWGFpFc— The White House (@whitehouse) August 13, 2013
2. Sam Horowitz's bar mitzvah is the best bar mitzvah in history
The magic — and boy, do we do mean magic — starts around the 1:15 mark, when spectacular 13-year-old Sam Horowitz makes his dazzling entrance before the party's attendees. He's like Beyonce, but tinier and not married to Jay-Z. (Via Death and Taxes)
3. Here is an adorable baby sloth exercising
This is me at the gym. (Gym = in my room, with 5-pound weights.)
4. And while we're at it…
Here's a baby panda meeting its enormous mother for the first time. (Via BuzzFeed)
5. Vine magic
6. Prince joins Twitter
And posts his first selfie.
Related: Prince doesn't know what a selfie is.
7. Objection! (ht Adrian Chen)
Sometimes people argue on the internet, which is why you should add this to your arsenal. How to use it:
1. Select your character
2. Type your grievance
3. Hit "Objection!"
4. Send to your enemies
8. Tumblr of the Week: Scenes from The Wire
Here's the gist: Every hour, an automated bot grabs a random scene from HBO's The Wire and posts it to Tumblr as a GIF. Sometimes the result is something completely nonsensical:
Sometimes, it's spot on:
But most of the time, it's just weird:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Rise of the machines
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- It's time to kill school picture day
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Pope Francis' Machiavellian strategy to liberalize the Catholic Church
Subscribe to the Week