Today in history: Hawaii becomes a state
President Dwight Eisenhower shows off the new 50-star flag at the White House on Aug. 21, 1959. Bettmann/CORBIS
Aug. 21, 1959: Mahalo: President Eisenhower signed a bill making Hawaii the 50th state.
Quote of The Day
"We must adjust to changing times and still hold to unchanging principles." —Jimmy Carter
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- 11 weeknight dinners you can make without a recipe
- How U2 became the new Nickelback
- 10 things you need to know today: September 21, 2014
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week