ast week's contest: The members of the biggest band in the world, the Thai Elephant Orchestra, have been trained to hold mallets in their trunks and strike oversized xylophones, marimbas, and drums. What would be the ideal song for the band to play?
THE WINNER: "I Feel the Earth Move"
Ken Kellam III, Dallas
SECOND PLACE: "Do Your Ears Hang Low?"
Dick LaVine, New York City
THIRD PLACE: The national anthem at the 2016 Republican National Convention
Kent A. Harries, Pittsburgh
"Reinforced Bridge Over Troubled Water"
Ivan Kershner, Salem, S.C.
"Send in the Clowns"
Jeffrey Smithson, Rexford, N.Y.
"Fat-Bottomed Girls" by Queen
Jeffrey Markowski, Round Lake, N.Y.
"I Will Remember You" by Sarah McLachlan
Joanne Sullivan, Maspeth, N.Y.
"In My Trunk" by Dev
Ujjal Kohli, Saratoga, Calif.
"He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother"
Preston Gilroy, White Plains, N.Y.
"Bring in 'da Noise, Bring in 'da Trunk"
Charles & Mary Parry, Catonsville, Md.
"Tusk" by Fleetwood Mac
Jeffrey Contompasis, Ashburn, Va.
Pachyderm's Canon in D Major
Paul Binder, Bellevue, Wash.
"Hit the Road, Pach"
Angela James, Westminster, Md.
"Welcome to the Jungle"
Fiona Neary, Fredericksburg, Va.
Dick Adler, Franklin, N.C.
"Not-So-Little Drummer Boy"
Jeffry O'Connor, Palm Springs, Calif.
"The Weight" by The Band
James T. Smith, Jacksonville, Fla.
"Pink Elephants on Parade" from Dumbo
Richard Lee, San Francisco
Michael J. Kramer, Plano, Texas
"Ebony and Ivory" by Paul McCartney
Kc. Boren, Victoria, Texas
"Run Through the Jungle" by Creedence Clearwater Revival
Jim Donoghue, Des Moines
"A Whole Lot of Shaking Goin' On"
Dave Ray, Moline, Ill.
"The Leader of the Pachyderm"
Vincent D'Amico, The Villages, Fla.
"Baby Elephant Walk" from Hatari
Harold Warren, Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
"I've Got A Crush On You"
Tom Woodard, Nashville
The Tuskegee Fight Song
Bob Stokes, Portland, Ore.
"Stompin' at the Savoy"
Jeanne Pacheco, Tucson
"Bang the Drum All Day" by Todd Rundgren
Jordan Clarke, San Diego
Jack Miller, Venice, Fla.
John Cage's "4:33"
Patrick Allen, Delaware, Ohio
"Pachy Breaky Heart"
Paul Raff, Santa Monica, Calif.
"Memory" by Andrew Lloyd Webber
Randy LePage, Cambridge, Ohio
Richard Molloy, East Walpole, Mass.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to take the perfect profile picture for online dating, according to science
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
- The one simple thing that can make you much more impressive
Subscribe to the Week