It looks like Washington, D.C., has officially thrown its hat into the ring for the 2024 Olympic Games.
The capital was one of 35 U.S. cities, along with Los Angeles, Philadelphia, and San Diego, that received letters from the U.S. Olympic Committee looking to determine their interest. The next step for organizers is to raise around $5 million, seed money that will be used to present the case in 2014 for why the city should spend up to $6 billion in preparation for the Games.
In the spirit of the Olympic Games, people on Twitter have already started competing in one of Washington's most hallowed traditions: Cynical punditry, organized under the hashtag #DCOlympicEvents.
What might our more wrinkled lawmakers be competing in during 2024?
Procedural hurdles #dcolympicevents— Ashley Schapitl (@AshleySchapitl) August 27, 2013
Possible competitors: Texas state Senator Wendy Davis (D), who by 2024 may have filibustered her way into national politics. Also, Chuck Hagel, who leaped over some serious hurdles to become the secretary of Defense.
Synchronized Outrage #dcolympicevents— Jenna Keen (@JennaKe) August 27, 2013
#dcolympicevents Fiscal Cliff Diving— Bella Pelosi (@BellaPelosi) August 27, 2013
Possible competitors: President Barack Obama, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), and House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio).
Straw Pole Vault #DCOlympicEvents— Darren Huff (@dhuff001) August 27, 2013
Possible competitors: Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Penn.), and every other potential Republican presidential candidate already stumping ahead of the Ames Straw Poll in Iowa.
Sequestrian. #dcolympicevents— Dan Zak (@MrDanZak) August 27, 2013
#dcolympicevents Under-the-Table Tennis. *(Payoffs accepted.)— Michael Cavna (@comicriffs) August 27, 2013
[redacted] #dcolympicevents— Melody Kramer (@mkramer) August 27, 2013
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- America is building a Sunni army in Iraq to take on the Islamic State
- The liberation of Barack Obama
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- The age of miracles is over — even for the religious
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week