From Up on Poppy Hill
This 2011 anime film is “as beautiful a hand-drawn animated feature as you are likely to see,” said the Los Angeles Times. The script, written by Spirited Away director Hayao Miyazaki, traces a romance that blossoms between two teenage rebels in 1963 Yokohama.
Betty Boop: Essential Collection Vol. 1
Betty Boop was once “a major figure in American movies,” so it’s an education to see her again at her 1930s peak, said The New York Times. These restored cartoons, which look crisper than they have in decades, reveal a Betty who was “disturbingly” oblivious to her erotic powers.
The Walking Dead: Third Season
(Starz/Anchor Bay, $70)
At its best, “The Walking Dead is grade-A terror,” said TVGuide.com. During Season 3, Sheriff’s Deputy Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) and his human compatriots continue to fight off zombies as they face a threat to their prison fortress: a town of antagonistic fellow survivors.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 deliciously garlicky dishes for summer
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- Four annoying sounds you need to stop making
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
Subscribe to the Week