From Up on Poppy Hill
This 2011 anime film is “as beautiful a hand-drawn animated feature as you are likely to see,” said the Los Angeles Times. The script, written by Spirited Away director Hayao Miyazaki, traces a romance that blossoms between two teenage rebels in 1963 Yokohama.
Betty Boop: Essential Collection Vol. 1
Betty Boop was once “a major figure in American movies,” so it’s an education to see her again at her 1930s peak, said The New York Times. These restored cartoons, which look crisper than they have in decades, reveal a Betty who was “disturbingly” oblivious to her erotic powers.
The Walking Dead: Third Season
(Starz/Anchor Bay, $70)
At its best, “The Walking Dead is grade-A terror,” said TVGuide.com. During Season 3, Sheriff’s Deputy Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) and his human compatriots continue to fight off zombies as they face a threat to their prison fortress: a town of antagonistic fellow survivors.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 10 things you need to know today: November 27, 2014
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
Subscribe to the Week