From Up on Poppy Hill
This 2011 anime film is “as beautiful a hand-drawn animated feature as you are likely to see,” said the Los Angeles Times. The script, written by Spirited Away director Hayao Miyazaki, traces a romance that blossoms between two teenage rebels in 1963 Yokohama.
Betty Boop: Essential Collection Vol. 1
Betty Boop was once “a major figure in American movies,” so it’s an education to see her again at her 1930s peak, said The New York Times. These restored cartoons, which look crisper than they have in decades, reveal a Betty who was “disturbingly” oblivious to her erotic powers.
The Walking Dead: Third Season
(Starz/Anchor Bay, $70)
At its best, “The Walking Dead is grade-A terror,” said TVGuide.com. During Season 3, Sheriff’s Deputy Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) and his human compatriots continue to fight off zombies as they face a threat to their prison fortress: a town of antagonistic fellow survivors.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 4 possible scientific explanations for ghosts
Subscribe to the Week