From Up on Poppy Hill
This 2011 anime film is “as beautiful a hand-drawn animated feature as you are likely to see,” said the Los Angeles Times. The script, written by Spirited Away director Hayao Miyazaki, traces a romance that blossoms between two teenage rebels in 1963 Yokohama.
Betty Boop: Essential Collection Vol. 1
Betty Boop was once “a major figure in American movies,” so it’s an education to see her again at her 1930s peak, said The New York Times. These restored cartoons, which look crisper than they have in decades, reveal a Betty who was “disturbingly” oblivious to her erotic powers.
The Walking Dead: Third Season
(Starz/Anchor Bay, $70)
At its best, “The Walking Dead is grade-A terror,” said TVGuide.com. During Season 3, Sheriff’s Deputy Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) and his human compatriots continue to fight off zombies as they face a threat to their prison fortress: a town of antagonistic fellow survivors.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- How to save money: 12 great personal finance tips
- How I lost all my money
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- The best books we read in 2014
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to wrap a present with mathematical precision (and waste less paper)
Subscribe to the Week