rom Up on Poppy Hill
This 2011 anime film is “as beautiful a hand-drawn animated feature as you are likely to see,” said the Los Angeles Times. The script, written by Spirited Away director Hayao Miyazaki, traces a romance that blossoms between two teenage rebels in 1963 Yokohama.
Betty Boop: Essential Collection Vol. 1
Betty Boop was once “a major figure in American movies,” so it’s an education to see her again at her 1930s peak, said The New York Times. These restored cartoons, which look crisper than they have in decades, reveal a Betty who was “disturbingly” oblivious to her erotic powers.
The Walking Dead: Third Season
(Starz/Anchor Bay, $70)
At its best, “The Walking Dead is grade-A terror,” said TVGuide.com. During Season 3, Sheriff’s Deputy Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) and his human compatriots continue to fight off zombies as they face a threat to their prison fortress: a town of antagonistic fellow survivors.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Mindy Kaling — not Lena Dunham — is the body positive icon of the moment
- Why we need a maximum wage
- 10 things you need to know today: April 23, 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
Subscribe to the Week