ast week's question: Scientists say that spending too much time on Facebook is making people depressed, possibly because their friends’ idealized version of their lives are making their own lives seem drab by comparison. Since Facebook isn’t going away, what can people do to solve this problem?
THE WINNER: Befriend a bunch of angsty teenagers who do nothing but complain
Zachary Anthony, St. Louis
SECOND PLACE: Read Dostoyevsky
Drew Filus, Studio City, Calif.
THIRD PLACE: Get Al Gore to invent something better
Lela Nelson, Stockton, Calif.
Invent a lovable alter ego, such as Miley Filner Weiner
Frank Letchworth, Knoxville
Come up with better lies
David Eichner, Kapaau, Hawaii
Move to a country where Internet access is heavily regulated
Ken Kellam III, Dallas
Send a friend request to Debbie Downer
Joanne Sullivan, Maspeth, N.Y.
Kaia Adler, Franklin, N.C.
Read any daily newspaper, where good news is anathema
Jim Brown, National City, Calif.
Hire a fiction writer to spice up their posts
Bill D. Miller, Barton, Vt.
Post pretend photos of epic vacations downloaded off the Internet
Bradley Fowler, Chambersburg, Pa.
Switch to Myspace
Bryan F. Smith, Denton, Texas
Turn on C-SPAN: Watching Congress will make anyone feel better about themselves
Richard Grossman, Wilmington, Del.
Tweet @DrPhil for coping strategies
Matt Schirripa, Meadville, Pa.
Only open the Facebook pages of people you don’t like
Kenneth R. Updegrove, Cedaredge, Colo.
Demand a Dislike button
Barry Cutler, Palm Desert, Calif.
Restrict Facebook use to viewing captioned cat photos
Patricia Leslie, Richmond, Calif.
Split your time between Facebook, the obituaries, and homeless dog commercials
Eric Johnson, Diamond Springs, Calif.
Get a North Korean pen pal
Joel Greenspan, Atlanta
Cut the funding to the scientists who discovered this
Julie Gensterblum, Howell, Mich.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
Subscribe to the Week