Last week's question: Scientists say that spending too much time on Facebook is making people depressed, possibly because their friends’ idealized version of their lives are making their own lives seem drab by comparison. Since Facebook isn’t going away, what can people do to solve this problem?
THE WINNER: Befriend a bunch of angsty teenagers who do nothing but complain
Zachary Anthony, St. Louis
SECOND PLACE: Read Dostoyevsky
Drew Filus, Studio City, Calif.
THIRD PLACE: Get Al Gore to invent something better
Lela Nelson, Stockton, Calif.
Invent a lovable alter ego, such as Miley Filner Weiner
Frank Letchworth, Knoxville
Come up with better lies
David Eichner, Kapaau, Hawaii
Move to a country where Internet access is heavily regulated
Ken Kellam III, Dallas
Send a friend request to Debbie Downer
Joanne Sullivan, Maspeth, N.Y.
Kaia Adler, Franklin, N.C.
Read any daily newspaper, where good news is anathema
Jim Brown, National City, Calif.
Hire a fiction writer to spice up their posts
Bill D. Miller, Barton, Vt.
Post pretend photos of epic vacations downloaded off the Internet
Bradley Fowler, Chambersburg, Pa.
Switch to Myspace
Bryan F. Smith, Denton, Texas
Turn on C-SPAN: Watching Congress will make anyone feel better about themselves
Richard Grossman, Wilmington, Del.
Tweet @DrPhil for coping strategies
Matt Schirripa, Meadville, Pa.
Only open the Facebook pages of people you don’t like
Kenneth R. Updegrove, Cedaredge, Colo.
Demand a Dislike button
Barry Cutler, Palm Desert, Calif.
Restrict Facebook use to viewing captioned cat photos
Patricia Leslie, Richmond, Calif.
Split your time between Facebook, the obituaries, and homeless dog commercials
Eric Johnson, Diamond Springs, Calif.
Get a North Korean pen pal
Joel Greenspan, Atlanta
Cut the funding to the scientists who discovered this
Julie Gensterblum, Howell, Mich.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Paul Allen's 'bitter' Bill-Gates-bashing memoir
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
Subscribe to the Week