Sept. 4, 1951: President Truman made the first coast-to-coast TV broadcast. He was on 87 stations in 47 markets. The American presidency was never the same again.
Quote of the Day
"Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery." — Calvin Coolidge
- The logic behind the world's 4 weirdest strategic reserves
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Remembering Nelson Mandela: A tribute in photos and prose
- Is it possible to live forever?
- Remembering Nelson Mandela: The world's front pages
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- 11 languages spoken by 11 people or fewer
- No, Obama doesn't have to fire everybody in the White House
- 6 photos that Facebook controversially banned
Subscribe to the Week