Sept. 4, 1951: President Truman made the first coast-to-coast TV broadcast. He was on 87 stations in 47 markets. The American presidency was never the same again.
Quote of the Day
"Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery." — Calvin Coolidge
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- Why 2014 may be as good as it gets for the Republican Party
Subscribe to the Week