Sept. 4, 1951: President Truman made the first coast-to-coast TV broadcast. He was on 87 stations in 47 markets. The American presidency was never the same again.
Quote of the Day
"Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery." — Calvin Coolidge
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week