Sept. 4, 1951: President Truman made the first coast-to-coast TV broadcast. He was on 87 stations in 47 markets. The American presidency was never the same again.
Quote of the Day
"Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery." — Calvin Coolidge
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- In defense of family dinner
Subscribe to the Week