Sept. 5, 1975: President Ford survived an assassination attempt in Sacramento, Calif. Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme, a member of the Manson family, pulled a .45 as the president walked by; Secret Service agents quickly tackled her, as Ford was rushed from the area. There would be another attempt on the president's life just 17 days later — also in Northern California.
Quote of the Day
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" – Abraham Lincoln
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
Subscribe to the Week