Sept. 5, 1975: President Ford survived an assassination attempt in Sacramento, Calif. Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme, a member of the Manson family, pulled a .45 as the president walked by; Secret Service agents quickly tackled her, as Ford was rushed from the area. There would be another attempt on the president's life just 17 days later — also in Northern California.
Quote of the Day
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" – Abraham Lincoln
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week