Sept. 5, 1975: President Ford survived an assassination attempt in Sacramento, Calif. Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme, a member of the Manson family, pulled a .45 as the president walked by; Secret Service agents quickly tackled her, as Ford was rushed from the area. There would be another attempt on the president's life just 17 days later — also in Northern California.
Quote of the Day
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" – Abraham Lincoln
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The myth of the stay-at-home dad
- Uber, and the growing threat of corporate surveillance
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
Subscribe to the Week