Sept. 5, 1975: President Ford survived an assassination attempt in Sacramento, Calif. Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme, a member of the Manson family, pulled a .45 as the president walked by; Secret Service agents quickly tackled her, as Ford was rushed from the area. There would be another attempt on the president's life just 17 days later — also in Northern California.
Quote of the Day
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" – Abraham Lincoln
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
Subscribe to the Week