Sept. 5, 1975: President Ford survived an assassination attempt in Sacramento, Calif. Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme, a member of the Manson family, pulled a .45 as the president walked by; Secret Service agents quickly tackled her, as Ford was rushed from the area. There would be another attempt on the president's life just 17 days later — also in Northern California.
Quote of the Day
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" – Abraham Lincoln
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
Subscribe to the Week