"quiet man" best known for "significant silences" and a "disciplined and low-key style" — a stoic leader "perfect for these complacent times." Not exactly how you remember George W. Bush, right?
And yet, that's exactly how the pundit class saw President George W. Bush after his first 100 days in office.
Twelve years after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, as the nation remembers not just that terrible day, but the years of war that followed, here's a flashback to the Bush presidency before 9/11 — as captured in The Week's May 4, 2001 issue.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- When will the Big One strike California?
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- How the elderly are treated around the world
Subscribe to the Week