A "quiet man" best known for "significant silences" and a "disciplined and low-key style" — a stoic leader "perfect for these complacent times." Not exactly how you remember George W. Bush, right?
And yet, that's exactly how the pundit class saw President George W. Bush after his first 100 days in office.
Twelve years after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, as the nation remembers not just that terrible day, but the years of war that followed, here's a flashback to the Bush presidency before 9/11 — as captured in The Week's May 4, 2001 issue.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The keys to succeeding with a job recruiter
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
Subscribe to the Week