"quiet man" best known for "significant silences" and a "disciplined and low-key style" — a stoic leader "perfect for these complacent times." Not exactly how you remember George W. Bush, right?
And yet, that's exactly how the pundit class saw President George W. Bush after his first 100 days in office.
Twelve years after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, as the nation remembers not just that terrible day, but the years of war that followed, here's a flashback to the Bush presidency before 9/11 — as captured in The Week's May 4, 2001 issue.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 10 things you need to know today: March 8, 2014
Subscribe to the Week