A "quiet man" best known for "significant silences" and a "disciplined and low-key style" — a stoic leader "perfect for these complacent times." Not exactly how you remember George W. Bush, right?
And yet, that's exactly how the pundit class saw President George W. Bush after his first 100 days in office.
Twelve years after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, as the nation remembers not just that terrible day, but the years of war that followed, here's a flashback to the Bush presidency before 9/11 — as captured in The Week's May 4, 2001 issue.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: September 18, 2014
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- An independent Scotland will need its own army, navy, and air force — and that could be a problem
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
Subscribe to the Week