"quiet man" best known for "significant silences" and a "disciplined and low-key style" — a stoic leader "perfect for these complacent times." Not exactly how you remember George W. Bush, right?
And yet, that's exactly how the pundit class saw President George W. Bush after his first 100 days in office.
Twelve years after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, as the nation remembers not just that terrible day, but the years of war that followed, here's a flashback to the Bush presidency before 9/11 — as captured in The Week's May 4, 2001 issue.
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- 10 things you need to know today: December 8, 2013
- 6 grammar points to watch out for in Christmas songs
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- This is how much extra it costs to eat healthy every day
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
Subscribe to the Week