President Barack Obama: Confounding liberals on Syria. Photo: (Alex Wong/Getty Images)
That sound you just heard is a whole warren of bleeding hearts exsanguinating. Every relationship hits a rough patch, but the bond between President Obama and a certain breed of liberal intellectuals — think pragmatic, explanatory, unsure of all the answers themselves — has been unbreakable. Sure, these analysts have criticized Obama in the past, but it was in the spirit of good-natured and helpful chiding. And their assistance in explaining Obama's health care plan better than he could was invaluable in convincing some Democrats to support it. In the wake of the Syria...whatchamacalit, though, Obama's sober pundit allies are having a conniption. Many simply cannot believe what they are hearing. Others think that Obama's words and actions can be blamed on that one character flaw that has occasionally manifested itself in the past but always temporarily and non-consequentially. What that flaw is, of course, is not universally agreed upon. All the pundits below have been generally supportive of President Obama's foreign policy.
1. Time's Joe Klein finds one of the "most stunning and inexplicable displays of presidential incompetence I've ever witnessed." The reason: He relies on his own judgment too much.
2. The New Republic's Noam Scheiber thinks Obama is simply trying to do what his own policy and moral compass insists is not possible.
3. The Guardian's Michael Cohen says Obama is being disingenuous.
Tough stuff. On the other hand, the president's traditional liberal critics are waking up to a whole new president, one they can live with. And Andrew Sullivan, a man who understands what Obama is trying to do as well as anyone in the West Wing, a man who found Obama's threat of military action against Syria to be a "betrayal," found the speech Tuesday night to be "clear, simple and moving."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 16, 2014
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
Subscribe to the Week