President Obama is getting a lot of grief from, well, just about everyone for his handing of the Syria conflict.
Conservatives who support military action are upset that we're now waiting on a potentially dead-end Russian initiative to take international control of Syria's chemical weapons. Many liberals and Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) supporters are irritated that Obama wanted to intervene with missiles in the first place. Much of America is just confused over what exactly Obama's Syria policy is.
Now, it appears, Obama is losing the ever-important stand-up comedy vote. Or at least one troupe of comics at Chicago's famed Second City. In the video above, from the Second City Network, comedians Brianna Baker, Neal Dandade, Greg Ott, and Niccole Thurman offer pretty biting commentary on cults of personality generally, and certain types of progressive Obama fans specifically.
The comedians play four die-hard Obama supporters — a graphic designer, a college freshman, a "stay-at-home mom with a full-time job," and a "scholar on social policy, and a barista" — pitching a $1.6 trillion Kickstarter campaign for "The World War III Project," a "very progressive" war, with "thousands of organic, grass-fed bombs" and "hybrid, Prius tanks." Why go to war in the first place? "Because Obama."
The music, the graphics, the typeface, and the stereotypes are lifted fairly seamlessly from Obama's 2008 and 2012 presidential campaign ads. It's not quite as one-sided as it seems, though. If you watch till the end, you'll see the punchline in the final frames of the sketch.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
Subscribe to the Week