There's a new normal for any major singer releasing a breathlessly anticipated pop single: Announce a date for a big, splashy release well in advance; despair when the song leaks days before your countdown draws to a close; shrug and release an official version of the song early to capitalize on the publicity before it's too late.
The latest victim of a suddenly accelerated release schedule is Britney Spears, whose new single "Work Bitch" — which the singer had relentlessly teased last week with a countdown clock pointing to Monday night — was released early on Sunday after a low-quality leak beat her countdown clock by 48 hours.
Woke up today and saw that a low quality version of Work Bitch had leaked :(— Britney Spears (@britneyspears) September 15, 2013
Does "Work Bitch" live up to the hype? The answer probably depends on whether or not you're a Britney Spears fan. The single doesn't break any new ground, but it does demonstrate what Britney Spears does best: Throbbing, autotune-packed anthems that are explicitly designed for heavy rotation in dimly-lit dance clubs. "Work Bitch" is undeniably successful on that score, but only by nakedly echoing Spears' previous hits.
Though the new single has been available for less than a day, it's already amassed well over a million views. And as for the leak, don't feel too bad. Britney seems to be over it:
I am truly overwhelmed and so grateful for all of your support. The Britney Army is amazing. I may have teared up a little.... I <3 you.— Britney Spears (@britneyspears) September 16, 2013
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- 10 things you need to know today: November 23, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week