This is quite pretty. A YouTuber named Srachi strapped a GoPro action camera to the back of an eagle, and set the bird loose to fly over the Chamonix hillsides in eastern France. Now, lest we get all complain-y about attaching a piece of electronic equipment to what must be a fully trained bird (you have to get the camera back somehow, right?), bear in mind that most action cams weigh just a few ounces. Some species of eagle, on the other hand, are absolute brutes, capable of dragging animals as big as goats off cliff sides:
(H/T: Popular Science)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Why charity can't solve society's deepest problems
Subscribe to the Week