This is quite pretty. A YouTuber named Srachi strapped a GoPro action camera to the back of an eagle, and set the bird loose to fly over the Chamonix hillsides in eastern France. Now, lest we get all complain-y about attaching a piece of electronic equipment to what must be a fully trained bird (you have to get the camera back somehow, right?), bear in mind that most action cams weigh just a few ounces. Some species of eagle, on the other hand, are absolute brutes, capable of dragging animals as big as goats off cliff sides:
(H/T: Popular Science)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 10 things you need to know today: March 7, 2014
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- The end of academic freedom?
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
Subscribe to the Week