Over the past week, much ink has been spilled over Chipotle's "Scarecrow" video, a well-aimed piece of viral marketing that has already amassed 5.7 million views on YouTube. In a narrative set to a goosebump-inducing Fiona Apple cover of "Pure Imagination," a scarecrow discovers the nightmarish world of factory farming and resolves to do his small part to encourage sustainable farming. The ad's production has been universally well-received; The Week's own Peter Weber calls it "the most beautiful, haunting infomercial you'll ever see."
But quality aside, not everyone is convinced of the intent behind the massive company's sudden detour into activism, which ends with a promotion for a Scarecrow-themed iPad app. And Funny or Die has produced a video parody, titled "Honest Scarecrow," that's sure to galvanize any viewers who doubt that Chipotle's motives are really as pure as the video implies.
"Come with us, and you'll be in a world of pure imagination / with an ad made for you by a giant corporation," croons a Fiona Apple sound-alike in the just-released parody video. "We'll begin; drop you in to a great high-budget animation / what you'll see will be pure manipulation."
Though the parody successfully skewers Chipotle's "Scarecrow" video, it's also a sign that the company's marketing campaign has penetrated the mainstream. Whichever side you're on, you're thinking and talking about Chipotle — so it's safe to say the company has hit its target.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- 10 secrets of the Vatican exposed
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 10 things you need to know today: November 28, 2014
Subscribe to the Week