Justin Timberlake has always been a savvy self-promoter, but the run-up to the the release of "TKO" — a new single from his upcoming album The 20/20 Experience: 2 of 2 — may be his masterpiece. A month ago, Timberlake posted the album's full track list in an Instagram video:
But it wasn't until September 16 that Timberlake took to Twitter to tease that a second single, following the July release of "Take Back the Night," was a possibility:
Would fans ever get the single that Timberlake was oh-so-subtly teasing? Yesterday, Timberlake returned to Instagram to drum up more buzz for "TKO" with a series of pictures and videos:
After all that, what's "TKO" like, anyway? After an extremely unpromising opening in which guest and producer Timbaland repeatedly raps "she killed me with that coochie-coo," the song evolves into a catchy but pointlessly overlong dance track. It's a song that will undoubtedly get a lot of club play, though it doesn't quite live up to the hype — but then again, what could?
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' 'white Santa' claim
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How John Boehner learned to stop worrying and hate the Tea Party
- How the budget deal could pave the way for immigration reform
- 10 things you need to know today: December 13, 2013
- The Black Death is back
- The lingering mystery of the 1964 World's Fair
- What one thing can determine whether or not you're successful in life?
- How Arrow became the best superhero show on television
Subscribe to the Week