Justin Timberlake has always been a savvy self-promoter, but the run-up to the the release of "TKO" — a new single from his upcoming album The 20/20 Experience: 2 of 2 — may be his masterpiece. A month ago, Timberlake posted the album's full track list in an Instagram video:
But it wasn't until September 16 that Timberlake took to Twitter to tease that a second single, following the July release of "Take Back the Night," was a possibility:
Would fans ever get the single that Timberlake was oh-so-subtly teasing? Yesterday, Timberlake returned to Instagram to drum up more buzz for "TKO" with a series of pictures and videos:
After all that, what's "TKO" like, anyway? After an extremely unpromising opening in which guest and producer Timbaland repeatedly raps "she killed me with that coochie-coo," the song evolves into a catchy but pointlessly overlong dance track. It's a song that will undoubtedly get a lot of club play, though it doesn't quite live up to the hype — but then again, what could?
- 10 things you need to know today: December 5, 2013
- Watch The Daily Show definitively prove that corporations are not people
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- The indignity of canine bath time
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Watch the overstuffed first trailer
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why income inequality has become the Democratic Party's top issue
- Australia just scrapped its debt ceiling. America should, too.
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Mexico's unluckiest thieves stole enough radioactive waste to make a dirty bomb
Subscribe to the Week