Justin Timberlake has always been a savvy self-promoter, but the run-up to the the release of "TKO" — a new single from his upcoming album The 20/20 Experience: 2 of 2 — may be his masterpiece. A month ago, Timberlake posted the album's full track list in an Instagram video:
But it wasn't until September 16 that Timberlake took to Twitter to tease that a second single, following the July release of "Take Back the Night," was a possibility:
Would fans ever get the single that Timberlake was oh-so-subtly teasing? Yesterday, Timberlake returned to Instagram to drum up more buzz for "TKO" with a series of pictures and videos:
After all that, what's "TKO" like, anyway? After an extremely unpromising opening in which guest and producer Timbaland repeatedly raps "she killed me with that coochie-coo," the song evolves into a catchy but pointlessly overlong dance track. It's a song that will undoubtedly get a lot of club play, though it doesn't quite live up to the hype — but then again, what could?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week