Have you heard? Lunch is in. (Don't feel bad if you didn't know; this is some pretty edgy stuff.)
But seriously, this is liberating news. It means no more spending $10, $15, sometimes $20 on mediocre Thai takeout. No more ordering extra pizza you don't want just to meet delivery minimums. No more overdressed salad bar salad and no more grocery store sushi. We all do it, grumblingly, and it stops here.
It's time for a lunch revolution. Let it become a point of pride, not of shame, that your yesterday self took a little extra time to brighten up your day today. Let your lunch be a canvas crying out for self-expression, not a ball and chain around your feet. Let us join hands and march through the streets, cleverly updated lunch pails clanking, and let our voices be heard: We will no longer be oppressed by stale, dry turkey wraps! We are staging a midday meal coup d'état, and we will take no prisoners!
Not sure where to start? Here are nine ways to pack a lunch that will make your deli-falafel-nibbling coworkers green with envy. Baby steps. Let the revolution begin with you.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
Subscribe to the Week