Zach Galifianakis' long-running Between Two Ferns series follows the host as he irritates and berates a wide range of A-List celebrity guests. The series offers a funny, scathing (and scripted) indictment of the countless blandly promotional interviews celebrities perform in support of their latest projects — and his latest target, Justin Bieber, proves a surprisingly game foil for Galifiankis' barbs.
After helpfully labeling the singer "Justin Beevers," Galifianakis opens with a reference to Bieber's "public meltdown" and follows it up with questions about some of Bieber's most notorious recent antics, including his wish that "Anne Frank would have been a Belieber" and a leaked video of Bieber peeing in a bucket. (No reference, unfortunately, to the monkey he abandoned in Germany.) Over the course of the video, Galifianakis goes after Bieber's youth, arrogance, and hairstyle (though Bieber fires back with a shot at Galifiankis' weight). By the video's end, the passive-aggressive convict actually becomes aggressive, but never fear, Beliebers — Bieber ends up with the last laugh.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- California's epic drought
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week