But a slightly more dubious metric also indicates that fans couldn't get enough of Walter White and his fuzzy new head of hair. According to TorrentFreak, about 500,000 people illicitly pirated the show's final episode in the first 12 hours after it aired. That's an awful lot of people typing "Breaking Bad s05e16" into PirateBay!
The data seems to show that the majority of those downloading came from Australia, which beat out all other countries and consumed 18 percent of the climactic episode's BitTorrents.
The United States came in second place with 14.5 percent of downloads, and the U.K. came in third at 9.3 percent. TorrentFreak reports that at its peak, more than 85,000 people around the world were sharing a single copy.
While that's certainly impressive, it still has quite a ways to catch up to Game of Thrones, which still holds the distinction as the most pirated show on the net, juuust ahead of inexplicables like Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother. The opening episode of season three, for example, currently holds well over five million digital downloads.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Surviving a plane crash
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi: The man who would be caliph
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- When men who abstain from pre-marital sex get married
- Confessions of a hotel insider
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- Ted Cruz and the most cynical, despicable political stunt of the year
Subscribe to the Week