AMC's hit drama The Walking Dead doesn't premiere until October 13 — but the network has an early Halloween treat for anyone who wants to kick off October with a few zombies. AMC's new three-part web series, The Walking Dead: The Oath, introduces Karina and Paul, a duo who struggle to survive in the zombie apocalypse before The Walking Dead's protagonist Rick Grimes wakes up from his coma in the pilot.
Honestly, the story isn't the most scintillating, and it's obvious that the budget for the web series is considerably lower than the series proper. But The Walking Dead: The Oath does provide some extra information that should intrigue hardcore fans of the series — including some new details about the events that led to the destruction of the hospital in which Rick finally awakes, and the first appearance of one of the most memorable images from The Walking Dead's pilot. It's far from perfect, but The Walking Dead: The Oath should make a serviceable appetizer for anyone who can't wait for the full feast of the fourth season's premiere.
The Walking Dead: The Oath, Part 1:
The Walking Dead: The Oath, Part 2:
The Walking Dead: The Oath, Part 3:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 10 things you need to know today: November 27, 2014
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
Subscribe to the Week