If the past few years of food trends have taught us anything, it's that people love desserts. From the cupcake craze of the early 2000s to this year's cronut mania, it is pretty safe to say that if it's sugary and cute and innovative, people will line up.
But maybe you're one of the crazy ones; maybe you're just not really that into sweets. Sure, a small bite of chocolate from time to time is necessary and a tiny scoop of ice cream can really hit the spot on a hot summer day. But when it comes down to it, you'll take a slice of cheese over a slice of cake any day of the week.
Something happens, however, when sugar and salt meet — something magical — and it is impossible to resist. Cookies, ice cream, brownies — they are all better with a healthy sprinkling of flaky salt. It is the ultimate flavor combination.
Here are 10 salty-sweet desserts that would tempt even the most savory food-lovers.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How Wall Street is chipping away at reform
- How I lost all my money
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- A brief history of the Christmas present
Subscribe to the Week