If the past few years of food trends have taught us anything, it's that people love desserts. From the cupcake craze of the early 2000s to this year's cronut mania, it is pretty safe to say that if it's sugary and cute and innovative, people will line up.
But maybe you're one of the crazy ones; maybe you're just not really that into sweets. Sure, a small bite of chocolate from time to time is necessary and a tiny scoop of ice cream can really hit the spot on a hot summer day. But when it comes down to it, you'll take a slice of cheese over a slice of cake any day of the week.
Something happens, however, when sugar and salt meet — something magical — and it is impossible to resist. Cookies, ice cream, brownies — they are all better with a healthy sprinkling of flaky salt. It is the ultimate flavor combination.
Here are 10 salty-sweet desserts that would tempt even the most savory food-lovers.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- Why we need a maximum wage
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
Subscribe to the Week