If the past few years of food trends have taught us anything, it's that people love desserts. From the cupcake craze of the early 2000s to this year's cronut mania, it is pretty safe to say that if it's sugary and cute and innovative, people will line up.
But maybe you're one of the crazy ones; maybe you're just not really that into sweets. Sure, a small bite of chocolate from time to time is necessary and a tiny scoop of ice cream can really hit the spot on a hot summer day. But when it comes down to it, you'll take a slice of cheese over a slice of cake any day of the week.
Something happens, however, when sugar and salt meet — something magical — and it is impossible to resist. Cookies, ice cream, brownies — they are all better with a healthy sprinkling of flaky salt. It is the ultimate flavor combination.
Here are 10 salty-sweet desserts that would tempt even the most savory food-lovers.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
Subscribe to the Week