If the past few years of food trends have taught us anything, it's that people love desserts. From the cupcake craze of the early 2000s to this year's cronut mania, it is pretty safe to say that if it's sugary and cute and innovative, people will line up.
But maybe you're one of the crazy ones; maybe you're just not really that into sweets. Sure, a small bite of chocolate from time to time is necessary and a tiny scoop of ice cream can really hit the spot on a hot summer day. But when it comes down to it, you'll take a slice of cheese over a slice of cake any day of the week.
Something happens, however, when sugar and salt meet — something magical — and it is impossible to resist. Cookies, ice cream, brownies — they are all better with a healthy sprinkling of flaky salt. It is the ultimate flavor combination.
Here are 10 salty-sweet desserts that would tempt even the most savory food-lovers.
More from Food52...
- The indignity of canine bath time
- Why income inequality has become the Democratic Party's top issue
- Is it possible to live forever?
- Watch The Daily Show definitively prove that corporations are not people
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- No, Obama doesn't have to fire everybody in the White House
- How to make the perfect hot chocolate
- 11 languages spoken by 11 people or fewer
- Why Americans care about Rob Ford's drug abuse but not Nigella Lawson's
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week