If the past few years of food trends have taught us anything, it's that people love desserts. From the cupcake craze of the early 2000s to this year's cronut mania, it is pretty safe to say that if it's sugary and cute and innovative, people will line up.
But maybe you're one of the crazy ones; maybe you're just not really that into sweets. Sure, a small bite of chocolate from time to time is necessary and a tiny scoop of ice cream can really hit the spot on a hot summer day. But when it comes down to it, you'll take a slice of cheese over a slice of cake any day of the week.
Something happens, however, when sugar and salt meet — something magical — and it is impossible to resist. Cookies, ice cream, brownies — they are all better with a healthy sprinkling of flaky salt. It is the ultimate flavor combination.
Here are 10 salty-sweet desserts that would tempt even the most savory food-lovers.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- How Community's Dean Pelton broke new ground for sexual politics on television
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
Subscribe to the Week