like Halloween. And I like dressing up for Halloween. But what I don't like is being pressured into turning up at a party dressed as a slutty version of Big Bird, or Mr Potato Head, or Spongebob. Every year, companies seem to find new and increasingly disturbing ways to "sex up" — and I'm using a very narrow definition of "sexy" here — completely innocent characters/celebrities/foodstuffs. But this year they've gone too far.
I present the Sexy Pizza:
No words can express the way I feel about humanity in general when I look at this outfit. But there's one positive to come out of the whole dreadful situation: It's sent me on a quest to find the least sexy Halloween costume I can possibly find. After all, surely the whole point of Halloween is that it's the one day of the year when you're allowed to look absolutely terrible and pretend that you did it on purpose?
So, for women out there of a more discerning nature who want to truly frighten their fellow party-goers, here are my top 5 least sexy Halloween costumes:
1. Cranky Old Man
If anyone gives you lip about why you haven't bothered to come as a woman — let alone a sexy one — you can hit them with your cane.
2. Post-Thanksgiving Hangover
Hang around the food table for added effect.
3. Athlete's Foot
Paint on a couple of warts, make the toes hairier, add some red discoloration — and you're all set.
4. Vintage-lover's Choice
And finally, my personal choice for this year:
5. Kim Jong Il
Creep up on a circle of people mid-conversation, and just stare at them.
Obviously there will be people out there who find some, or all, of these outfits sexy. There's no accounting for taste. But at least we made a stand.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
Subscribe to the Week