I like Halloween. And I like dressing up for Halloween. But what I don't like is being pressured into turning up at a party dressed as a slutty version of Big Bird, or Mr Potato Head, or Spongebob. Every year, companies seem to find new and increasingly disturbing ways to "sex up" — and I'm using a very narrow definition of "sexy" here — completely innocent characters/celebrities/foodstuffs. But this year they've gone too far.
I present the Sexy Pizza:
No words can express the way I feel about humanity in general when I look at this outfit. But there's one positive to come out of the whole dreadful situation: It's sent me on a quest to find the least sexy Halloween costume I can possibly find. After all, surely the whole point of Halloween is that it's the one day of the year when you're allowed to look absolutely terrible and pretend that you did it on purpose?
So, for women out there of a more discerning nature who want to truly frighten their fellow party-goers, here are my top 5 least sexy Halloween costumes:
1. Cranky Old Man
If anyone gives you lip about why you haven't bothered to come as a woman — let alone a sexy one — you can hit them with your cane.
2. Post-Thanksgiving Hangover
Hang around the food table for added effect.
3. Athlete's Foot
Paint on a couple of warts, make the toes hairier, add some red discoloration — and you're all set.
4. Vintage-lover's Choice
And finally, my personal choice for this year:
5. Kim Jong Il
Creep up on a circle of people mid-conversation, and just stare at them.
Obviously there will be people out there who find some, or all, of these outfits sexy. There's no accounting for taste. But at least we made a stand.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- Incheon: the next white elephant city
Subscribe to the Week