Last week's question: American adults scored below the international average in a test of math, reading, and problem-solving skills, with 12 countries scoring higher than the U.S. in all three categories. In what skill would America still rank No. 1 in the world?
THE WINNER: Spending money we don't have
Dick Wilcher, Mount Airy, Md.
SECOND PLACE: Deep fat frying
Jeffrey Contompasis, Ashburn, Va.
THIRD PLACE: Outsourcing
Sonja Amadae, Cambridge, Mass.
Marlon G. Smith, Elmont, N.Y.
Bernice Roberts, Middletown, N.J.
Ujjal Kohli, Saratoga, Calif.
Putting a big "Closed" sign on the government
Claire Ziffer, Union Grove, Wis.
Going into debt
Ken Kellam III, Dallas
Per capita consumption of everything
William J. Kiskowski, Capitol Heights, Md.
Selfies per capita
Eric McCormick, New York City
Finding ways and excuses to become obese
Bob Maxwell, Brevard, N.C.
Keeping up with the Kardashians
Kevin Moran, St. Louis Park, Minn.
Destroying the English language
Christopher Glenn, La Mesa, Calif.
Teaching foreigners how to excel at math, reading and problem-solving skills
John Achinapura, Great Meadows, N.J.
Texting while driving, eating, making love, etc.
Joel Conarroe, New York City
Judging from the number of commercials, erectile dysfunction
Glen Greenfield, Santa Monica, Calif.
MaryKay Serrill, Smithville, Texas
Bill Glinka, Colchester, Vt.
Addiction and rehab
Laura Cahners-Ford, Charlotte, Vt.
Ed Ellinger, Sequim, Wash.
Leading from behind
Randy Amburgey, Rockville, Md.
Shooting each other
Cynthia Hall Grossman, Durham, N.C.
Deciding how other countries should solve their problems
Bob Arriola, Santa Cruz, Calif.
Borrowing money to pay someone to do our math, reading and problem solving for us
David A. Hettinger, Beckley, W.Va.
Forgiving our enemies by consistently re-electing them to Congress
Jack Faust, Portland, Ore.
Re-gaining weight lost after dieting
Charles & Mary Parry, Catonsville, Md.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
Subscribe to the Week