ast week's question: American adults scored below the international average in a test of math, reading, and problem-solving skills, with 12 countries scoring higher than the U.S. in all three categories. In what skill would America still rank No. 1 in the world?
THE WINNER: Spending money we don't have
Dick Wilcher, Mount Airy, Md.
SECOND PLACE: Deep fat frying
Jeffrey Contompasis, Ashburn, Va.
THIRD PLACE: Outsourcing
Sonja Amadae, Cambridge, Mass.
Marlon G. Smith, Elmont, N.Y.
Bernice Roberts, Middletown, N.J.
Ujjal Kohli, Saratoga, Calif.
Putting a big "Closed" sign on the government
Claire Ziffer, Union Grove, Wis.
Going into debt
Ken Kellam III, Dallas
Per capita consumption of everything
William J. Kiskowski, Capitol Heights, Md.
Selfies per capita
Eric McCormick, New York City
Finding ways and excuses to become obese
Bob Maxwell, Brevard, N.C.
Keeping up with the Kardashians
Kevin Moran, St. Louis Park, Minn.
Destroying the English language
Christopher Glenn, La Mesa, Calif.
Teaching foreigners how to excel at math, reading and problem-solving skills
John Achinapura, Great Meadows, N.J.
Texting while driving, eating, making love, etc.
Joel Conarroe, New York City
Judging from the number of commercials, erectile dysfunction
Glen Greenfield, Santa Monica, Calif.
MaryKay Serrill, Smithville, Texas
Bill Glinka, Colchester, Vt.
Addiction and rehab
Laura Cahners-Ford, Charlotte, Vt.
Ed Ellinger, Sequim, Wash.
Leading from behind
Randy Amburgey, Rockville, Md.
Shooting each other
Cynthia Hall Grossman, Durham, N.C.
Deciding how other countries should solve their problems
Bob Arriola, Santa Cruz, Calif.
Borrowing money to pay someone to do our math, reading and problem solving for us
David A. Hettinger, Beckley, W.Va.
Forgiving our enemies by consistently re-electing them to Congress
Jack Faust, Portland, Ore.
Re-gaining weight lost after dieting
Charles & Mary Parry, Catonsville, Md.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Time Warner Cable is raising your monthly rate again
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- True Detective's dangerous lies about satanic ritual abuse
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Why is the 'mor' in 'Voldemort' so evil-sounding?
- America's love-hate relationship with porn
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- The wrongheaded law that's making your food less safe
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
Subscribe to the Week