"From deep in the hinterlands to the greatest metropolis on Earth, they came to reclaim the glory they once knew," booms the voiceover in the trailer for this December's long-awaited Anchorman sequel. It's been nearly a decade since Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy first appeared in theaters, but this extended glimpse shows that the Action News Team hasn't changed much in the years since we've last seen them.
The new trailer opens with a funeral for one of the most beloved characters from the first movie, and follows Ron Burgundy and his cohorts to their new jobs working for the 24-hour Global News Network in New York City. Along the way, they contend with everything from a scorpion-filled RV to an adorable baby shark.
It's all pretty absurd — but if this new trailer is any indication, Anchorman 2's actual story will follow the basic arc of first movie, as Ron Burgundy and his bigoted news team are forced to adapt to the changing times. In Anchorman, that meant accepting that a woman can be a news anchor; in Anchorman 2, that seems to mean accepting that black people and gay people can work in the newsroom, too. It sounds like a minor variation of a story we've already seen — and a step backward from where we left Ron Burgundy in the last movie — but it's hard not to be excited about any chance to spend a little more time with America's favorite news team.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- 10 burning questions you've always wanted to ask about investing
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- 10 things you need to know today: July 22, 2014
- What these custom, 3D-printed earphones say about the future of consumer technology
Subscribe to the Week