"From deep in the hinterlands to the greatest metropolis on Earth, they came to reclaim the glory they once knew," booms the voiceover in the trailer for this December's long-awaited Anchorman sequel. It's been nearly a decade since Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy first appeared in theaters, but this extended glimpse shows that the Action News Team hasn't changed much in the years since we've last seen them.
The new trailer opens with a funeral for one of the most beloved characters from the first movie, and follows Ron Burgundy and his cohorts to their new jobs working for the 24-hour Global News Network in New York City. Along the way, they contend with everything from a scorpion-filled RV to an adorable baby shark.
It's all pretty absurd — but if this new trailer is any indication, Anchorman 2's actual story will follow the basic arc of first movie, as Ron Burgundy and his bigoted news team are forced to adapt to the changing times. In Anchorman, that meant accepting that a woman can be a news anchor; in Anchorman 2, that seems to mean accepting that black people and gay people can work in the newsroom, too. It sounds like a minor variation of a story we've already seen — and a step backward from where we left Ron Burgundy in the last movie — but it's hard not to be excited about any chance to spend a little more time with America's favorite news team.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Pics or it didn't happen: Millennials are a bunch of selfie-loving skeptics
Subscribe to the Week