"From deep in the hinterlands to the greatest metropolis on Earth, they came to reclaim the glory they once knew," booms the voiceover in the trailer for this December's long-awaited Anchorman sequel. It's been nearly a decade since Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy first appeared in theaters, but this extended glimpse shows that the Action News Team hasn't changed much in the years since we've last seen them.
The new trailer opens with a funeral for one of the most beloved characters from the first movie, and follows Ron Burgundy and his cohorts to their new jobs working for the 24-hour Global News Network in New York City. Along the way, they contend with everything from a scorpion-filled RV to an adorable baby shark.
It's all pretty absurd — but if this new trailer is any indication, Anchorman 2's actual story will follow the basic arc of first movie, as Ron Burgundy and his bigoted news team are forced to adapt to the changing times. In Anchorman, that meant accepting that a woman can be a news anchor; in Anchorman 2, that seems to mean accepting that black people and gay people can work in the newsroom, too. It sounds like a minor variation of a story we've already seen — and a step backward from where we left Ron Burgundy in the last movie — but it's hard not to be excited about any chance to spend a little more time with America's favorite news team.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Rise of the machines
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Ban PowerPoint!
- It's time to kill school picture day
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- How ISIS gets its hostages
- Uncle Sam wants you to stay away from these countries
Subscribe to the Week