"From deep in the hinterlands to the greatest metropolis on Earth, they came to reclaim the glory they once knew," booms the voiceover in the trailer for this December's long-awaited Anchorman sequel. It's been nearly a decade since Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy first appeared in theaters, but this extended glimpse shows that the Action News Team hasn't changed much in the years since we've last seen them.
The new trailer opens with a funeral for one of the most beloved characters from the first movie, and follows Ron Burgundy and his cohorts to their new jobs working for the 24-hour Global News Network in New York City. Along the way, they contend with everything from a scorpion-filled RV to an adorable baby shark.
It's all pretty absurd — but if this new trailer is any indication, Anchorman 2's actual story will follow the basic arc of first movie, as Ron Burgundy and his bigoted news team are forced to adapt to the changing times. In Anchorman, that meant accepting that a woman can be a news anchor; in Anchorman 2, that seems to mean accepting that black people and gay people can work in the newsroom, too. It sounds like a minor variation of a story we've already seen — and a step backward from where we left Ron Burgundy in the last movie — but it's hard not to be excited about any chance to spend a little more time with America's favorite news team.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
Subscribe to the Week