After intriguing side stories like X-Men: First Class and The Wolverine, the blockbuster X-Men franchise is getting back to basics with next year's X-Men: Days of Future Past — and the threat the X-Men are facing is so enormous that they're teaming up with the series' villains to take it on. "You need me," says Magneto (Ian McKellan) to Professor X (Patrick Stewart) in the film's trailer, which hit the internet Tuesday morning. "Side by side, to end this war before it ever begins."
But those are just two of the many, many mutants who appear in the blockbuster film. Days of Future Past is the event that fans have been anticipating since the release of X-Men: First Class, which served as a prequel to the original X-Men trilogy. The film bridges the decades that separate the two movies with a time travel plot that sees the older X-Men confronting their younger selves — many of whom seem to have fallen on hard times. "I don't want your suffering! I don't want your future!" screams young Professor X (James McAvoy) at his older self (Patrick Stewart). "Please. We need you to hope again," replies the older man.
It's all a little dizzying, though it's undeniably thrilling to see so many great actors from the franchise's increasingly convoluted history in one place. Days of Future Past's story is an acknowledged classic in comic book circles, with some fans arguing that it's the best story X-Men ever told — but will mainstream film audiences embrace the mind-bending storyline? We'll find out when X-Men: Days of Future Past kicks off the summer blockbuster season next May.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- Why Halbig and the conservative war on ObamaCare will fail
Subscribe to the Week