The Wolf of Wall Street, a Martin Scorsese film based on stock swindler Jordan Belfort's memoir of the same name, is less than two months away — and Paramount has released an extended second trailer that gives us even more glimpses of star Leonardo DiCaprio's debauched antics.
While the film's first trailer was heavy on mood at the expense of story, this second glimpse offers a clearer view of The Wolf of Wall Street's riches-to-obscene-riches story. 'My name is Jordan Belfort, and at the tender age of 22 I headed to the only place that befit my high-minded ambitions," says DiCaprio in the film's trailer. After starting his own firm out of an auto-body shop, Belfort gives his employees one strict order: Target the wealthiest one percent of Americans. From there, it's a dizzying blur of success, filled with yachts, marching bands, and $26,000 dinners — until the bottom, inevitably, drops out. "The real question is this: Was all of this legal?" says Belfort. "Absolutely not."
The Wolf of Wall Street was originally intended for release in November, but Paramount has since pushed the film back to December 25 — a date that will give it a fighting chance at next year's Academy Awards. Will the wanton debauchery of the film alienate the often stuffy Academy, or will A-List talent like Martin Scorsese, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Matthew McConaughey give the film a chance to break through? We'll find out when The Wolf of Wall Street hits theaters in December.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
Subscribe to the Week