In his book The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs, Carmine Gallo lays out 18 steps you can follow to give talks like the founder of Apple:
1. "Plan in analog."
Don't get stuck in PowerPoint from the start. Play with ideas loosely on whiteboards or index cards.
2. "Answer the one question that matters most."
And that question is, "Why should I care?"
3. "Develop a messianic sense of purpose."
Where is your passion for this subject coming from? Convey that.
4. "Create Twitter-like headlines."
Be to the point in your copy. People don't want to read, they want to hear a story.
5. "Draw a road map."
Use a three-act structure so your audience feels the presentation is organized, with a beginning, middle, and end.
6. "Introduce the antagonist."
What's the problem that needs to be solved or the enemy to be overcome?
7. "Reveal the conquering hero."
What's the solution to the problem? What's the new angle or development that will lead to victory?
8. "Channel their inner Zen."
Keep everything simple, to the point, and minimalist.
9. "Dress up your numbers."
Present stats in a context that is relevant to your audience.
10. "Use 'amazingly zippy' words."
Review your copy closely, and edit, edit, edit.
11. "Share the stage."
It's not a one-man show. Rotate in other presenters if possible.
12. "Stage your presentation with props."
Add life and break up stretches of talk by giving demos.
13. "Reveal a Holy Shit moment."
There's always a surprise at the end — a scripted one.
14. "Master stage presence."
Manage your body language and delivery. Match them to what your presentation requires.
15. "Make it look effortless."
Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse.
16. "Wear the appropriate costume."
"Dress like the leader you want to become."
17. "Toss the script."
Once you've rehearsed it all, make it relaxed and natural.
18. "Have fun."
Even if things go sideways, roll with it. [The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs]
Join 45K+ readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.
More from Barking Up The Wrong Tree...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 10 things you need to know today: March 7, 2014
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
Subscribe to the Week