It is easy to overlook butternut squash. An autumn and winter workhorse that may seem as common as carrots, butternut squash may not exactly inspire culinary fireworks when more exotic and colorful squash varieties — like kabocha, acorn, and delicata — beckon from the market. (Plus, let's face it. Butternut squash does sort of look like an unholy cross between a pumpkin and a femur.)
The prevalence of butternut squash during fall and winter may make it seem common, but the ubiquity of this autumn staple is for good reason: It is versatile, simple to prepare (promise!), and above all, delicious. With a sweet, nutty taste that can be applied to soups, salads, main courses, and baked goods, butternut squash deserves a special place in your cooking repertoire. Here are eight recipes to help you cozy up to this special squash.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The girl who wouldn't die
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- California's epic drought
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
Subscribe to the Week