It is easy to overlook butternut squash. An autumn and winter workhorse that may seem as common as carrots, butternut squash may not exactly inspire culinary fireworks when more exotic and colorful squash varieties — like kabocha, acorn, and delicata — beckon from the market. (Plus, let's face it. Butternut squash does sort of look like an unholy cross between a pumpkin and a femur.)
The prevalence of butternut squash during fall and winter may make it seem common, but the ubiquity of this autumn staple is for good reason: It is versatile, simple to prepare (promise!), and above all, delicious. With a sweet, nutty taste that can be applied to soups, salads, main courses, and baked goods, butternut squash deserves a special place in your cooking repertoire. Here are eight recipes to help you cozy up to this special squash.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Driverless cars may be an environmental disaster
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
Subscribe to the Week