It is easy to overlook butternut squash. An autumn and winter workhorse that may seem as common as carrots, butternut squash may not exactly inspire culinary fireworks when more exotic and colorful squash varieties — like kabocha, acorn, and delicata — beckon from the market. (Plus, let's face it. Butternut squash does sort of look like an unholy cross between a pumpkin and a femur.)
The prevalence of butternut squash during fall and winter may make it seem common, but the ubiquity of this autumn staple is for good reason: It is versatile, simple to prepare (promise!), and above all, delicious. With a sweet, nutty taste that can be applied to soups, salads, main courses, and baked goods, butternut squash deserves a special place in your cooking repertoire. Here are eight recipes to help you cozy up to this special squash.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week