Last week's question: The town of Rjukan, Norway, is nestled deep in a valley and gets almost no sunshine from September through March, but this year the town has installed giant mirrors called heliostats on the mountains above to reflect light into the town. What is a simpler way to make it through a long, dark winter?
FIRST PLACE: Put Viagra in the town water supply
Rich Herbst, West Chester, Pa.
SECOND PLACE: Scotch. Then, more scotch.
Michael Slawski, Fairfax, Va.
THIRD PLACE: Move
Justin Sheldon, Prattville, Ala.
Thom Thacker, Irvington, N.Y.
Put the town on a barge, move it to the Mediterranean
John Dale, Minneapolis
On hold with the ObamaCare call center
John Smigelsky, Matawan, N.J.
Keep burning fossil fuels: Soon there won't be any more winter
Andrew Tuite, Chicago
Substitute sunlamps for streetlights
Janine Witte, New Hope, Pa.
Become a snowbird
Beth Kaminetsky, Boca Raton, Fla.
Read the complete works of Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy
Kenneth R. Updegrove, Cedaredge, Colo.
Give everyone in town a DVD of Little Miss Sunshine
Greg Fey, Westlake Village, Calif.
Find a well-lit bar
Toni Waltz, Port Charlotte, Fla.
Blanket, big dog, book
D. Kershaw, Rhinebeck, N.Y.
John Ohlson, Providence, R.I.
Get a night job
Cliff Sjogren, Cadillac, Mich.
Several truckloads of "lite" beer
Terry Craney, Madison, Wis.
Just mention ObamaCare to a Republican, and enjoy the heat!
Tom Vranesich, Monroe, N.Y.
Open a 24-hour Hooters
Collin Boles, Redding, Calif.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- How I lost all my money
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to save money: 12 great personal finance tips
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- The best books we read in 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to wrap a present with mathematical precision (and waste less paper)
Subscribe to the Week