ast week's question: The town of Rjukan, Norway, is nestled deep in a valley and gets almost no sunshine from September through March, but this year the town has installed giant mirrors called heliostats on the mountains above to reflect light into the town. What is a simpler way to make it through a long, dark winter?
FIRST PLACE: Put Viagra in the town water supply
Rich Herbst, West Chester, Pa.
SECOND PLACE: Scotch. Then, more scotch.
Michael Slawski, Fairfax, Va.
THIRD PLACE: Move
Justin Sheldon, Prattville, Ala.
Thom Thacker, Irvington, N.Y.
Put the town on a barge, move it to the Mediterranean
John Dale, Minneapolis
On hold with the ObamaCare call center
John Smigelsky, Matawan, N.J.
Keep burning fossil fuels: Soon there won't be any more winter
Andrew Tuite, Chicago
Substitute sunlamps for streetlights
Janine Witte, New Hope, Pa.
Become a snowbird
Beth Kaminetsky, Boca Raton, Fla.
Read the complete works of Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy
Kenneth R. Updegrove, Cedaredge, Colo.
Give everyone in town a DVD of Little Miss Sunshine
Greg Fey, Westlake Village, Calif.
Find a well-lit bar
Toni Waltz, Port Charlotte, Fla.
Blanket, big dog, book
D. Kershaw, Rhinebeck, N.Y.
John Ohlson, Providence, R.I.
Get a night job
Cliff Sjogren, Cadillac, Mich.
Several truckloads of "lite" beer
Terry Craney, Madison, Wis.
Just mention ObamaCare to a Republican, and enjoy the heat!
Tom Vranesich, Monroe, N.Y.
Open a 24-hour Hooters
Collin Boles, Redding, Calif.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- Entrepreneurs: A dying breed?
Subscribe to the Week