Sen. Lindsay Graham further ostracizes female voters with new anti-abortion legislation. Photo: (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Earlier this year, the Republican Party released an "autopsy report" highlighting sweeping changes that needed to be made to make the party viable again in presidential elections.
The Wall Street Journal called it a "scathing self-analysis" that "describes the party as ideologically ossified, unable to speak to a wider electorate and increasingly seen as representing the rich and the old."
Today was a very bad day on Capitol Hill for Republicans who hoped their party might take heed of that report, and remake itself as more tolerant and inclusive in time for the 2014 midterm elections.
Here's what happened:
1. A majority of Republican senators voted against the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, a bill that would finally put an end to workplace discrimination against gay Americans, Roll Call reports.
2. Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) introduced legislation that would ban abortions nationwide for women more than 20 weeks pregnant, The Washington Post reports.
3. Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart (R-Fla.) told Greg Sargent that House Republicans would not hold a vote on immigration reform this year and that "the window for getting anything done next year is closing fast."
These are stands on important issues that further push away gay, female, and Hispanic voters — voting groups that Republicans claimed, at least in their autopsy report, they didn't want to alienate any longer.
Instead of rebranding, the GOP is doubling down on the old brand that helped them lose the last two presidential elections.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week