When I checked myself into a psychiatric emergency room for suicidal thoughts, I didn't expect to spend a week in a mental hospital. Twenty-three years old, I was initially placed in a geriatric mental ward because there was no space for me elsewhere. Later in the week, I got inextricably caught up in some fellow patients' scheme to smoke in a smoking-free hospital. This piece follows my hospitalization and eventual recovery from severe depression.
Narratively is an online magazine devoted to original, in-depth and untold stories. Each week, Narratively explores a different theme and publishes just one story a day. It was one of TIME's 50 Best Websites of 2013.
More from Narratively...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Mad Men recap: 'A Day's Work'
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Aereo at the Supreme Court: No matter what, broadcasters lose
- 10 things you need to know today: April 21, 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
Subscribe to the Week