This holiday season, toss out those boring rolls that serve only as vehicles for swiping up remaining streaks of cranberry sauce from your plate. Instead, fill up your bread basket with fluffy, crumbly cornbread scented with fresh thyme. If you prefer a more pudding-like variety that you need a utensil to eat, bake up some spoon bread. And if you want cornbread for dessert, too, add blackberries and sugar.
The beauty of cornbread is that you can customize it however you want. Love avocado? Add it to the mix. Craving spicy chorizo? Toss it in there. Throw together the batter ahead of time, bake it before your meal, and listen to your guests rave.
But be warned: Make your cornbread too good, and it just might be the star of your holiday show.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why I choose not to be rich
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- Here's the last time Russia shot down a passenger plane
- What if The Purge was real?
Subscribe to the Week