Raise your hand if you've ever had an unpleasant experience with oatmeal. Yeah, we thought so. Even the staunchest oatmeal advocates have encountered gloopy, bland, oddly textured oatmeal that looks like an alien life form. The culprits can be hotel breakfasts, school cafeterias, or even your great-aunt Edna's Sunday brunch. Unpleasant oatmeal can strike anywhere, anytime — but never again in your own kitchen.
Let's give oatmeal its due, shall we? This nutritious staple is chock-full of complex carbohydrates, fiber, and deliciousness. In short — you should be eating more of it. And not just for breakfast (though there's nothing wrong with that...): Oats in ice cream! Oats in risotto! Oats on pizza! That last one was a joke. But it does give us some ideas.
Celebrate oatmeal in all its nutty, chewy, whole-grain glory. Because oatmeal deserves the best, and so do you.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How Block the Boat is fighting the Israeli government — in California
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
Subscribe to the Week