Raise your hand if you've ever had an unpleasant experience with oatmeal. Yeah, we thought so. Even the staunchest oatmeal advocates have encountered gloopy, bland, oddly textured oatmeal that looks like an alien life form. The culprits can be hotel breakfasts, school cafeterias, or even your great-aunt Edna's Sunday brunch. Unpleasant oatmeal can strike anywhere, anytime — but never again in your own kitchen.
Let's give oatmeal its due, shall we? This nutritious staple is chock-full of complex carbohydrates, fiber, and deliciousness. In short — you should be eating more of it. And not just for breakfast (though there's nothing wrong with that...): Oats in ice cream! Oats in risotto! Oats on pizza! That last one was a joke. But it does give us some ideas.
Celebrate oatmeal in all its nutty, chewy, whole-grain glory. Because oatmeal deserves the best, and so do you.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- Pay yourself first: The habit that can help you build wealth
- 10 things you need to know today: July 30, 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week