Raise your hand if you've ever had an unpleasant experience with oatmeal. Yeah, we thought so. Even the staunchest oatmeal advocates have encountered gloopy, bland, oddly textured oatmeal that looks like an alien life form. The culprits can be hotel breakfasts, school cafeterias, or even your great-aunt Edna's Sunday brunch. Unpleasant oatmeal can strike anywhere, anytime — but never again in your own kitchen.
Let's give oatmeal its due, shall we? This nutritious staple is chock-full of complex carbohydrates, fiber, and deliciousness. In short — you should be eating more of it. And not just for breakfast (though there's nothing wrong with that...): Oats in ice cream! Oats in risotto! Oats on pizza! That last one was a joke. But it does give us some ideas.
Celebrate oatmeal in all its nutty, chewy, whole-grain glory. Because oatmeal deserves the best, and so do you.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The girl who wouldn't die
- California's epic drought
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week