In the aftermath of Super Typhoon Haiyan, which will likely go down as the strongest storm in recorded history, more than 10,000 people are feared dead, and at least 600,000 Filipinos are without a home. If you're interested in helping out, here are a few trusted charities worth looking into:
GK is a wonderful organization that I've worked with that normally concentrates its efforts toward eradicating poverty. In the aftermath of Haiyan, however, the organization is collecting food packets to distribute to displaced families. Donate online via credit card here.
U.N. humanitarian response
In terms of logistics, supplies, and manpower, the U.N.'s humanitarian response arm is among the world's best-equipped — along with the Red Cross — to deliver immediate aid to disaster areas. You can donate much-needed funds through PayPal to the World Food Programme to supply families with nutritious meals.
Another organization built on a foundation of seasoned emergency responders. You can help survivors meet basic needs like clean water and food by donating in $35, $74, or $150+ increments here.
Catholic Relief Services
CRS is collecting funds to deliver shelter and clean water. The group's goal is to raise emergency shelters for 32,000 displaced families. You can give here.
Habitat for Humanity
Providing emergency aid is just the start; the road to recovery is much, much longer. Habitat for Humanity's goal is to raise funding for 50,000 cleaning kits for flooded homes, 30,000 shelter repair kits (which include items like tools and wood), and 10,000 new houses for Filipinos who have lost their homes. You can donate here.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
Subscribe to the Week