ustin Lookadoo considers himself something of a love guru. Since 1989, the Christian motivational speaker has been traveling around the U.S., lecturing high school students on how they can make themselves more "dateable."
But his "juicy secrets" — which include gems like, "Dateable girls know how to shut up" — didn't go over well with the students at Richardson High School in Dallas this week. Some kids walked out on his speech, while others berated his sexist banter on Twitter using the hashtag #lookadouche.
"MOTIVATIONAL? More like a rant on women," tweeted one student.
"According to Justin Lookadoo I'm undateable because I talk too much," tweeted another.
Parents bashed the school for its choice of speaker, with one father accusing Lookadoo of "trying to reinforce 75-year-old stereotypes." The school's principal later apologized to anyone who was offended by the talk.
Here are some of Lookadoo's worst nuggets of dating wisdom.
1. Good girls don't touch condiments.
"God made guys as leaders. Dateable girls get that and let him do guy things, get a door, open a ketchup bottle. They relax and let guys be guys. Which means they don't ask him out!!!"
2. Good girls don't arm wrestle.
"You are soft, you are gentle, you are a woman. Don't try to be a guy. Guys like you because you are different from them. So let your girly-ness soar."
3. Good girls are like good sheep.
"A dateable girl isn't Miss Independent. She knows we are made for community."
4. Good girls nod politely.
"Dateable girls know how to shut up. They don't monopolize the conversation. They don't tell everyone everything about themselves. They save some for later. They listen more than they gab."
5. Real men never have emotions. Ever.
"Dateable guys know they aren't as sensitive as girls and that's okay. They know they are stronger, more dangerous, and more adventurous and that's okay. Dateable guys are real men who aren't afraid to be guys."
6. Real men don't put the toilet seat down.
"Men of God are wild, not domesticated. Dateable guys aren't tamed. They don't live by the rules of the opposite sex. They fight battles, conquer lands, and stand up for the oppressed."
7. Real men, um, act like the Taliban?
"Dateable guys know that porn is bad for the spirit and the mind. They keep women covered up."
Want to find out if Lookadoo thinks your dateable? Take his test here. (This writer is apparently in "The Danger Zone" and at risk of letting his "hormones take over.")
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why we need a maximum wage
Subscribe to the Week